Saltwater Noob w/a lot of questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

igetbombed

AC Members
Jan 10, 2006
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and have a lot of questions. I've had fish tanks for over 15 years, but was always a freshwater enthusiast. After years of the "saltwater tanks are too much trouble" mentality, I've finally decided to give it a try, but I have a ton of questions before I start.

Here is a brief description of the equipment I will be using:
75 Gallon tank, Large E-heim canister filter (the one that is made for tanks 100-150 gallons), Large Penguin hang on the back filter, submersible heater w/dial.
Current Substrate: crushed coral (beneficial to buffering PH for my cichlids)
Decorations - lots of holy rock/fake plants

1.)First and foremost, I'm converting what is currently a tank chock full of African Cichlids into my saltwater tank. I have a 75 gallon tank - could I just add the necessary amount of salt to the tank - meaning, keep the 75 gallons of water in the tank, and just add the necessary amount of salt per what the package of the salt says???

2.)Should I change my filter media - or would it be beneficial to keep the media that was in there for my Cichlids

3.)I plan on doing a home-made rock background similar to this one:
http://www.duboisi.com/diy/BNdiygrotto/bndiygrotto.htm
Has anyone used something similar to this for a saltwater tank??? I've done a few of these for freshwater, and don't see how it would have any ill effects on a salt water aquarium, but figured I'd ask

4.)If I'm doing a fish only aquarium, do I have to get a protein skimmer??? I've read a bunch of info online, and get mixed comments on that.

5.)What should I use as my substrate??? Crushed coral - or live sand???

6.)Last but not least - can I use the rock (lava rock, lace rock, and various river stone)that is currently in my cichlid tank, or do I HAVE TO get live rock.

I know I'm asking for a ton of info, but please help me out - this is my first attempt at saltwater, and I'm totally fearful of messing up.

Thanks in advance for all your help

Pineapple

Love4Monsters
Dec 11, 2005
Certain types of lava rock can leach metals into salt.

I would not use that back ground for salt. There are other ways of doing it but I will have to find the link. Salt is corrosive and can cause problems.

The fresh water bacteria are not the same as salt so I would start from scratch.

I say use a skimmer but you will here a difference. It’s really up to you. It’s just good water cleaner.

I would use sand because coral can trap debris inside the shell. This will make it hard to clean.

If you are not interested with the life on rock you can get base rock, which
was once live rock. It’s much cheaper this way.

http://www.captiveoceans.com/products-RE_reefceramic.html

Last edited:

igetbombed

AC Members
Jan 10, 2006
Re: homemade background

Thanks for the input Pineapple, but I have a follow up question.

I understand what you are saying about being weary about making a background, but I planned on using vinyl guttering (not metal), and sticking crushed coral to it rather than lava rock. W/that said, would it still be a bad idea???

Pineapple

Love4Monsters
Dec 11, 2005
No problem. I love to solve. Hehee

I don’t know much about this gutter stuff but on the side of caution I wouldn’t use it.

The link I gave you can be a DIY. ;)

igetbombed

AC Members
Jan 10, 2006
I looked at the link, and although those pre-made backgrounds look great, they are quite pricy.

Making my own would only cost me about $30-$35 or so, so I think I might still brave it and try. I don't see why vinyl would be a bad thing to use in a saltwater aquarium, and it doesn't appear anyone else is indicating why it would be either. I'll keep researching.

In the meantime, if anyone has any input on this, I'd appreciate it. Hate to waste my time doing all that only to have something go wrong, or fish die etc.

AndrewT

AC Members
Dec 26, 2005
Im just setting my marine tank up for the first time.

Ive painted the back of my tank "windsor blue" and it looks very natural and makes the tank look a lot deeper. - Just an idea.

I would be carefull of putting anything in the tank that make cause issues with salt water. - not worth the risk in my opinion.

Good luck

igetbombed

AC Members
Jan 10, 2006
I agree

But I don't see what ill effects this could possibly have. I'm using aquarium safe silicone, and I'm attaching crushed coral to it. The only thing that I'm skeptical about is how vinyl holds up in saltwater, but Its not like its metal where it would rust.

I'm gonna give it a shot. I'll post some pics when I'm done. Should be in about 1 week or so.

Pineapple

Love4Monsters
Dec 11, 2005
To give you an example, I use food grade plastic for mixing salt because it may leach unwanted elements into the water, I have a reef though. I don’t know if you’re the first, but I’m interested in those pics.

LordsSoilder

Armageddon outa here!
Aug 29, 2005
Holland, MI
www.jc4me.org
Bombed,

I see why you want to use this background, It's neat looking and practical for the fish. I would highly suggest making it removable. And I would also only suggest doing it in sections. The main reason is cleaning and catching...

If you make it permanent and need to catch a fish for quarantine etc... you wont get them out of the caves... also you will get a fair ammount of build up that will create a nitrate factory. If your nitrates spike it could result in a complete loss of fish.

All in all I think its a cool background, just remember the possible consiquences.

With that in mind, I might use some acrylic tubing cut in half instead of vinyl that was made for entirely different purposes...

Keep us up to date, and post some pics.
-LS

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Nitrate spikes are only relative to if its FOWLR or a Reef, a reef youi want nitrate low as possible, with FOWLRD you can have medium Nitrate Levels.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store