puffer debate.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
I was at the pet shop and talking to the marine expert. I was looking in the brackish tank that had a GSP puffer a ruby scat , 2 green scats, and 3 silver scats, and a pea puffer. the pea was cheap at $9. I tell the marine expert, and say that I was thinking of putting the small yo-yo loach in my 10 and through the puffer in with a few more small fish. then he says "well the pea is brackish but the others can be acclimated possibly." I say that I read that they are fresh, but he said "it probably said that it can work in fresh, but is brackish." I tell him that it is a FW puffer. He said there is no such thing as a FW puffer and that every puffer is found in at least slightly brackish water naturally. Then the guy dares me to name 1 puffer that originates in FW. I did'nt even have to think. Tetraodon Mbu is what came out. He started reseach on it on the computer. I had to get home, So I said that he should find several links supporting what he says and I'll find several link of my own.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Unfortunately, LFSs seem to frequently come with two puffer belief systems:

1) They're all brackish.
2) GSPs and Figure 8s really are FW only.

Go to www.pufferlist.com or visit www.fishbase.org (although the latter is incorrect on Figure 8s). Heck, have this "expert" look in Baensch where he'll find several FW puffers listed.

Poor little dwarf puffer - he's be a snack for one of those fish.

Eric

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
GPS and figure 8's natturally come from brackish. they look better and last longer if in brackish, they were right on that. I'm trying to prove them wrong on tetraodon mbu

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Assumign Pea Puffer was a dwarf puffer then they are wrong. It is freshwater. I have had that discussion before with a LFS. It is funny the same chain but one place won't carry them as they don't do brackish and the other place has them in freshwater but sells brackish as well. Time to get their facts straight.

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
He said that the definition of brackish was salt added to water, and since they sold rift lake salts then...
I tell him it has to be sea salt and have a specifivc gravity between a surtain range. He said that if rift salt bring it to even 1.001 he would consider it brackish

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think. What the LFS guy believes and what is fact do not in this case coincide. But it does make you question just fow much he knows about fish.

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
he is one of the best and most noligiable peope in town--just in marine. He has 14 marine tanks, and really knows his stuff--just marine--not FW/BW

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store