Thinking of painting back of tank black, but??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
What kind of paint should i be using??

Flat, semi-gloss, egg shell??

Im gona be using oil, and applying it with a sponge roller, but im not sure what kind of paint to use.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Krylon spray paint works REALLY well, I used it on my 65g. Using a brush or roller on glass can be a challenge, and leave marks you can't see until you put a light on the tank. Most people use spray paint TMK.

macphoto

AC Members
Aug 19, 2005
Blinky said:
Krylon spray paint works REALLY well, I used it on my 65g. Using a brush or roller on glass can be a challenge, and leave marks you can't see until you put a light on the tank. Most people use spray paint TMK.
Yes, if you do decide to roll, two (maybe three) coats will probably be needed to ensure a consistant appearance from inside the tank. Might indeed be easier to spray it, unless you don't have a suitable location to do so.

--Mike

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
Thanks guys.

Well the only place i could spray is in my basement, so i'll be going the roll route.

3-4 coats is what ill apply with a 6-7 hours of drying time bewteen coats.

how about regular house hold oil paints?? Would they work?

Also, flat or semi-gloss??

Owens187

AC Members
Oct 22, 2005
California
fug rolling......use a krylon or acrilic(sp.) or latex spray paint....works great!!!!!

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
I bought patriotic blue Krylon 'fusion' paint for plastic, glass, pvc, vinyl.
You can apply the second coat within an hour. I applied 3 coats.
Sprayed in my living room, no mess no fuss. (open windows) Use masking tape to protect side glass and newspapers underneath. Wipes away easily with a rag.
Get it at walmart. Don't forget your back glass will later become algae covered and it won't matter if ther's shine through spots, but the krylon covers fully.

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
I keep my back glass clean so algae wont grow on it, I put on about 4 coats of accrylic paint, they made it for me at homedepot. Make sure that you clean the glass with rubbing alcohol before you apply paint, it cleans the glass very well.

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
wastememphis said:
I keep my back glass clean so algae wont grow on it, I put on about 4 coats of accrylic paint, they made it for me at homedepot. Make sure that you clean the glass with rubbing alcohol before you apply paint, it cleans the glass very well.
What do you mean they made it for you?? Do they not sell accrylic paint in a 1 litre can??

Guys, nobody has answered one question for me yet.

GLOSS, SEMI, OR FLAT?? :p:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store