Product review for a Eheim 2227

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hmt321

AC Members
Nov 21, 2005
I am going to get a 125 gal tank for my office sometime in the near future, and i know that HOB filters will not do the job, I have no experience with canister filters and I am going to up grade to a Eheim 2227 on my 40 gal FW tank so I can get the hang of how they operate before I spend a bunch of money on my office tank set up.

I have some questions for anyone who has any experience with the Eheim 2227

1.) I have heard that that this particular filter gives the tank a fluctuating water line, is this true? how drastic is it?

2.) how quiet is it? My 40 gal is set up in my home office where i spend a considerable amount of time working and watching TV (hiding from my wife) my hob filters are completely quiet, will there be some noise?

3.) is it easy to maintain?

4.) can I shut it down weekly for a 50% water change?

5.) are there any better models out there I am missing out on?

6.) should I think about building my own wet/dry filter for the 125 (i consider myself very handy and I am willing to do the research necessary to complete a project)

Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge

Brett

AC Members
Dec 23, 2004
Jerseyville, IL
The Ehiem 2227 is an excellent filter. I've had mine for five or six years now.

1.) The water line will fluctuate, however it will not be noticable in a 6foot 125gal. tank. Its barely noticable in my 75.

2.) The wet/dry filter is not as quiet as the Ehiem's other canisters which are completely silent. You will hear a soft thump when the canister empties. I can only hear it when there are no other sounds in the room.

3.) It is VERY easy to maintain. Easier than the regular canisters as there is only one type of media to use and that media is in a removable/rinceable basket. :)

4.) You wouldn't need to shut it down, but you certainly can.

5.) In my limited experience, Ehiem makes the highest quality filters. I am very happy with mine and I have seven of them.

I am not familiar with other wet/dry manufactures though. I have learned (the hard way) that a wet/dry filter is a poor choice for a planted tank. It might work if you have CO2 injection but I wouldn't know personally.

You might consider the 2229. I believe the 2227 is only rated for 90 gallons.

6.) Sounds like a fun project if you have the time. If not, the 2227 is a great filter, and I would recommend it. Just not for plants. ;)

Good Luck!
-Brett

Brett

AC Members
Dec 23, 2004
Jerseyville, IL
Sorry I just reread you post and saw that you were not planning on putting it in your 125. Obviously the 2227 can handle the 40. :duh:

hmt321

AC Members
Nov 21, 2005
right, im gona use in in the 40 gal, do you think the water lvl would be noticable?

I had planned on running 2 of the 2227's for the 125 gal

gona set one up on the 40 and get used to it 1st

thanks

Brett

AC Members
Dec 23, 2004
Jerseyville, IL
I don't think it would be very noticeable. I first had it in a 56 gallon tank that was 30" long, 24"? tall, and 18" front to back. I think the water line only moved 1/4 inch at most.

hmt321

AC Members
Nov 21, 2005
ok cool im gona try it out

ill post what i think after i have it set up in a few weeks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store