Reddish Pink Streaks on Tail Fin

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eve

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
First of all I'd like to say thank you to anyone that can help my fish.

In a previous post I detailed the tank troubles I was having, but to summarize it my comet had a couple of ulcers, which the last is almost completely gone. I treated for the ulcers twice for at least a week at a time with melafix, aquarium salt, and aquari-sol. I just got some pimafix and I was thinking about trying that along with melafix.

My two goldfish have pinkish red streaks on their tails. I first noticed the streaking about a month and a half ago. They were only in a 10 gal. tank and the nitrates were way too high. I was told that that's probably what caused the problem. In their 29 gal. tank the nitrates have been very low for several weeks now. How long does it take for these to completely go away and do I need to give them medication for this?

For the most part the streaking isn't very noticeable and it looks very light in color. The comets tail has almost like a reddish pink tinge to it. My fantail, on the other hand, has a more streaky look to his tail and maybe even a little more reddish color to the streaks. The fantail has longer more defined looking streaks. A couple of times though I noticed a couple of super small red streaks on my fantails tail. I've also noticed some fin splitting, but not a lot. Except my comets anal fin split directly at the top all the way to the body (just one little piece like at the first groove). Do you know what might be causing this and is it a major problem?

Actually I think my comet might be just a common goldfish.

Any help is much appreciated.

kristy24

AC Members
Jan 15, 2006
change 35-40% of the water and get one live plant for each goldfish in a 10gl tank to help keep the levels down and always vac up dropings every 1 to 2 days if you have goldfish in a 10 gl they are very dirty :pc:

Eve

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
Thanks for the replies. I actually moved my goldfish into a 29 gallon tank a few weeks ago. I set the tank up the day before I put them in it: I hope that was ok. All parameters were the same except the nitrates varied by 5 or 10 ppms. Also I put some of the gravel from the old tank in the new one.

kristy24

AC Members
Jan 15, 2006
Eve said:
Thanks for the replies. I actually moved my goldfish into a 29 gallon tank a few weeks ago. I set the tank up the day before I put them in it: I hope that was ok. All parameters were the same except the nitrates varied by 5 or 10 ppms. Also I put some of the gravel from the old tank in the new one.
live plants help with nitrates

pdb

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
the red streaking is from high nitrate levels or ammonia readings in your tank...

Goldfish exposed to heavy nitrates( 50ppm or above) for extended periods will either become diseased or will die..

Heavy water changes until you get your nitrates under control and weekly monitoring of your nitrates along with water changes to reduce them down to acceptable levels will help take the red streaks out of your fish, but it will take a little while..

Goldfish are very messy fish and your filters will need cleaning more often than some species of fish also.

Last edited:

Eve

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
Thank you very much!

The nitrates are low now and the ammonia is at 0.

I change and clean the filter once to three times per month.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store