how long should java be tied down?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
I know this question is probably beneath you but it's my first time with a plant that doesn't belong in the substrate.

I've got a java fern i just tied onto a piece of drift wood with string

the string is ugly tho so i wondered how long it would take for it to hang on for itself.

thanks-K

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
This question isn't beneath anyone in here ;)

About a week or two. Every time you do a waterchange, give it a little tug and see if it's rooted or not. If it has you can cut the string.

I use dark colored elastics instead of string. Not as noticable :)

Roan

TetraFreak

Church of the Freshwater Aquarium!
Dec 14, 2005
Sweet Home "Northern" Alabama
Some folks use fishing line as well...more invisible that way!

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
I staple mine on. I use one of those little mini ones.
Good question...I starten mine in April, and am still waiting for it to attach..:rolleyes:

only6foot6

AC Members
I used dark thread when attaching mine. I never cut it off. It just kind of disintegrated. The trick is to use a color that will not stand out.

If the color really bothers you, cut it off & try again.

nursie said:
I starten mine in April, and am still waiting for it to attach..:rolleyes:
Nursie - I can't believe your Java Fern has not attached yet!!! Good thing for staples.

blue demasoni

AC Members
Dec 11, 2005
They make a fishing line called vanish. It's greenish in color out of the water but in it it's as close to invisible as possible. You can get a small roll(75yrds.) for a few bucks. Just make sure after it's attatched you remove the line or it could cut the plant.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
nursie said:
I staple mine on. I use one of those little mini ones.
Good question...I starten mine in April, and am still waiting for it to attach..:rolleyes:
Heh, I stapled my java moss :) Gonna staple my pelia next. That stuff is NOT supposed to float! :rolleyes:

Roan

jazzbass

AC Members
Nov 28, 2005
NW Washington State
Uh... purple string?

But seriously... I used dark brown (cotton) sewing thread, looped around the whole thing several times, and by the time the plant was rooted, the string had rotted enough to pull out. In one of my tanks, I used a rubber band and just cut the band after the plant had rooted. And on one other, I used jute (it was all I could find at the time)

NotGumbel

The Dude
Nov 5, 2004
Elkins, WV USA
What about attaching to artificial (resin) driftwood? Do the plants require an actual porous wood surface to which they attach?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store