Plutonium powered spacecraft to launch for Pluto

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
Funny how people are scared of something happening. Given there have been accidents before they are few and far betwee. I would think that people would be happy to see some radioactive material leaving earth and never comming back.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I was glad to see it happen. My hope is that someone with more forehead than gonads comes up with the next generation in propulsion in my lifetime. Whether we use chemical rockets or nuke, we can only go so far, so fast with Newton's Laws.

Mark

reality

New Mexico Space Port - 2007
Aug 20, 2005
albuquerque, nm
the probe is being launched atop a conventional chemical rocket, the plutonium is part of the radioisotope thermoelectric generator, or RTG. in very basic terms, the plutonium generates heat, the generator takes that heat and turns it into energy. the main reason for doing this is that pluto is really far out, so far that the normal solar panels would have little to no effect.
the so called "laws" of physics are really only theories, until the next theory comes out and breaks the old ones. in the late 1800's people thought that if you went faster than 60mph your skin would peel off. yet our astronauts are cruising at about 18,000 mph

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Oh Man!!!11!!one!!eleventy!!!

Bush is nuking another planet??!?!?!1?11?11?1!!?//one! He's gone too far... again!!1?1

Sorry, had to be done.

Now that that is out of the way, I am really excited about all of this. We should (hopefully) get some good information back to back up the claim that Pluto is nothing more than a rogue moon and not really a planet to begin with!

Oh and as far as laws go, Newtons got nothing on Kepler!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
So what is done with the heat generated? It is expelled in the opposite direction of travel, no? Still sounds like reaction mass. Please explain, reality. I find this extremely fascinating.

Mark

Hannys_Papa

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Wesley...

The Probe is launched on a conventional rocket. But once the probes rockets are burnt out and its on its way - the plutonium cells provide the probe with energy (for computers, transmitters etc).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store