Bettas; mean male charging female, can I add another (f)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Brooklyn

AC Members
Dec 30, 2005
Ok, I posted about my betta being stressed out in a previous post about brightly colored gravel. To combat his depression. I got a female betta to cheer him up. He did perk up quite nicely but is now chasing her all over the tank and being quite a show off. I don't mind his strutting, but now the depression has transfered from the male to the female.

Can I add another female or two? Do the females fight like the males do. I figured that if i added another female at least the one would get a break from the males chasing......I also have a contengency plan that involves removing the male from the 30g into the old 10g.

Input please :)

Brooklyn

AC Members
Dec 30, 2005
Yeah, i just did some research on it (totally should have done that b4, but she was so pretty) I am going to remove him when I get home. Luckily I have quite a bit of floating nest material and she has been building little shelters for herself. She hasn't been nipped or fin ripped yet, probably because they are in a 30g with plenty of hiding places and room to seperate. It's odd though, I had a male and female together many years ago and they never had any problems.....wierd.

Well, I must go and save my girl. Thanks for anyone who can give me more info.....

B

Brooklyn

AC Members
Dec 30, 2005
Just a quick note to anyone who reads the former posts. I got home and moved my male into a secondary 5g tank...he's soon to get his own 2.5g hex tank. My female did end up having one very tiny (almost didn't see it) tear in her rear fin. but, she was elated when the male was removed and began to explore a bit before becoming just as quiet as before. I guess I will have to post a question about this problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store