How long do i wait before putting my fish in a new aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vjeffv

Registered Member
Jan 17, 2006
My tank recently started leaking, it was old so i got a new one and set it up. My question is do i have to wait days to put them in the tank, even if i am using different chemicals, or do the chemicals eliminate the waiting process? I have a 55 gallon tank. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
What chemicals are you referring to?

If the old tank is still running with everything in it, just transfer everything to the new tank. Water included. Make sure nothing dries out in the process and you should be good to go.

Roan

alfonso_reyes29

AC Members
Jan 6, 2006
vjeffv said:
My tank recently started leaking, it was old so i got a new one and set it up. My question is do i have to wait days to put them in the tank, even if i am using different chemicals, or do the chemicals eliminate the waiting process? I have a 55 gallon tank. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
I GOT MY TANK ON JULY 2005 AND GUY THAT I BOUGHT IT FROM SAID TO WAIT AT LEAST 24 HOURS BEFORE U PUT FISH AND I DID AND MY FISH R DOING FINE GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Please disregard what Reyes said.edit: unless he is thinking you are transferring from the old still running tank to the new

Don't put fish in the tank 24 hrs after adding the water.

Unless you have a filter media that was still running in the old tank, then you can add the fish right away. If the media has dried out or been sitting without fish for a few days you'll need to cycle it all over again.

You don't want to do a fishy cycle if you can help it.

I was told the same thing, add water wait 24 hrs, and lost a lot of fish because of it.

If its brand new everything then follow the directions in this link.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64301

its a very well written explanation of what to do and expect.

Last edited:

bobandfiona

AC Members
Dec 13, 2005
Dallas, TX
I know its hard to wait and you get happy thinking of putting fish in there...but trust us...you will only harm your fish if not possible kill them. It would not be the best for them at all.

If you can get some old material, definitely do. Be sure the tank you get it from is disease free and the material has remained in the water without drying out. Read the link provided above...it is VERY helpful.

We are here to help...let us know how your water is doing and what kind of fish you are planning!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
IceH2O said:
Please disregard what Reyes said.edit: unless he is thinking you are transferring from the old still running tank to the new
I'd disregard what Reyes even if he IS thinking that. It's wrong :)

I read the original poster's message a few times. At first I thought he was asking about cycling the new tank from scratch, but:

". . . it was old so i got a new one and set it up. My question is do i have to wait days to put them in the tank . . ."

He's asking if he has to wait a few days to put his fish in. Where are his fish and stuff from the old tank? They have to be *somewhere*, so I think they are still in the old tank.

Guess we'll find out when he checks this thread ;)

Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store