Anemone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
I got my first anemone, and I have a question.

I have 1 400 watt MH and 2 110 attinic VHOs on my 90 g. Strangely, the anemone stays a little smaller in the day time, and doesn't fully open up, but when the lights go off, that's when it'll open up more. It's only been in the tank for a few days. Is it just a question of the anemone getting used to the strong light, or should I be worried? (I have noticed that in the few days that I've had the anemone, it opens up more and more as the days go by.

Thanks for any help.

Oh by the way, it's a pink tip. :)

cheech

Daverman

AC Members
I've had Pink-tip in my 10-gallon for the past 6 months, but he displays the exactly opposite behavior. He opens up more when the light is on, and vice versa. Fortunately, your anemone opens up when the lights are turned off. This means that, at least, it's fairly healthy (But, you should monitor it carefully since anemones have a high mortality rate in captivity). I think your anemone hasn't adjusted to the new light intensity, which, I guess, is much stronger than the one under which it had lived before you purchased it (Unfortunately, many LFSs keep their anemones under NO fluorescent bulbs.). I guess your anemone is lucky enough to have an owner who has 400W MH;). You should know that your anemone is still in the acclimation process. So there is no need to panic at this point. Give him a few more days till it's fully acclimated to a new environment. Good luck with your new anemone!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store