my first saltwater tank...could use some guidance

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ej1698

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
new york
hello all,

I am a big nubie to saltwater tanks /set-up's. i recently got a freshwater [55 gallon] tank about 1 1/2 months ago and it's going great....we'll I'm hooked!!

I am going saltwater with my new tank!! i am a little intimidated right now
but I really want to do it!!!

I bought a 90 gallon reef ready tank [holes on bottom of tank- prefilter in tank] or is it called a marine ready tank?? anyway, i bought a ProClear 150 GAL Wet Dry Aquarium Filter w/Return Pump, it has a built skimmer on, TWO RIO 600 POWER HEAD PUMPS, a RIO 1700 POWER HEAD PUMP which i plan to hook up to a Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x, 18w UV Sterilizer. I'm also reading saltwater aquarium's for dummie's. beside's the usual stuff-heater/ hydrometer/thermometer what else would i need to run a great saltwater tank. in the book it tells beginner's to stay away from invertebrates/reef tank set-up due to inexperience of a beginner. so i will start with a fish only tank. the light set up that came with the tank is a duel fluorescent strip light,QUESTION:do I have to go out and spend a ton of money [which i don't want to and don't really have the money to do ] for lighting or can i change the bulbs for better lighting to support a reef / inverterbrates. another Question: what's the deal with live rock / live sand....does this make it a reef tank? I didn't set the tank up yet because I'm waiting on a custom stand I'm having built but would welcome any advice in advance that you can give.

Thanks in advance!!

EJ

macphoto

AC Members
Aug 19, 2005
Lighting: Normal output fluorescents are fine for a non-reef tank. At the suggestion of my dealer, I replaced one of the standard white bulbs with a blue actinic.

Live Rock / Live Sand: LR and LS can help non-reef tanks, handling a big chunk of the filtration needs, plus adding diversity and beauty.

--Mike

Crown Royal

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
The common understanding of a "reef tank" is a SW tank with corals. You NEED LR to sustain corals, but not the other way around

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
sounds like you are doing well, definately get LR and LS, makesure you have atleast 30 x turnover per hour rate if you do eventually get reef, other than that, you will have to upgrade lights if you want softies, sps and lps corals.

wdbill

AC Members
Jan 21, 2006
aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64333 go to this therad this guy is doing his homework

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store