Ocellaris Clownfish Fry Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Here's a thread of our newest spawn of clownfish fry: We are attempting to rear them for the second time, and here's a documentation of the attempt. Includes some great pictures as well!

:)

http://www.riftnreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8

Check back often for new updates... the clutch is only 4 days old.

:)
-Diana

RENEGADE

the one and only RENEGADE
Mar 19, 2003
Los Angeles CA
Visit site
oh thats cool. good pics.
it will be cool to see them hatched :dive2:

Last edited:

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
They are actually a 'second hand' pair, my boyfriend's ex originally got them about a year and a half ago I believe... and didnt start spawning until about 6 months ago? I'm not entirely sure. This will be thier second spawn under my care :D.

-Diana

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
Have you started a culture of rotifiers and greenwater? Also what filters are you going to use on the seperate tank they are going in?

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
I have my rotifer culture set up (its actually been setup a while) I'll post pics of that soon. Unfortuneatly we are having a heck of a time finding any greenwater in my area. One lady who breeds clownies has some but she is so hard to contact. So, we have bottled live rotifers available and will attempt those and then subsequently powdered flake food.

Filter is a DIY simple sponge filter in a 5 gallon tank. Last time we moved the eggs a day too early and most of them came down with a fungus due to the lack of flow. This time we will leave them in the full 8 days.

;)
-Diana

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
No, don't remove the aggs, the babies will hatch around 1hr after darkness, basically, you gotta sit there and have just enough light to see the little fellows and catch the before they are eaten, it has a much higher success rate for the fish living if it is done that way. :), why not start your own culture of greenwater? and how do you plan to remove surface scumm, if you don't remove the proteins on the water surface, the fish can't break through the surface and will die :( so you have to use a overflow or surface skimmer of somesort, or periodically manually remove the scumm on the surface.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
We are set on doing daily maintenance of the tank..... slight water changes, top offs, surface skimming, and bottom cleaning. I'm really nervous adding any sort of intake tube to the tank, even with a sponge over it wont the babies be small enough to fit through the holes? I've tried adding pantyhose to the intake before and it clogged up so fast.

We were not going to remove the eggs until the night of... this is bad because the change might cause them to not hatch for another day? They are laid on a shell that would make it sooo easy to move.

If we leave them in the tank (there's a moonlight so they'd go towards that) how would we remove them... we dont have one of those custom built fry siphon thingies :p:. A net? Or a simple gravel siphon?

Also how do you start greenwater? I thought you needed a paste or a sample of existing culture?

Thanks for your help!
-Diana

Last edited:

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
Try google site, i definately know that you can start a culture of green water, from scratch. Next you can use the gravel siphons, but be aware you will probably damage some of the fish during this process, then the net way is also kinda bad because you will not catch all the fish really fast and there is danger of a few being eaten, i still think the siphon way is best though. i know what you mean about the piping holes, i have seen people using floss over the top, but it would be better doing very high maintainance, there is less risk involved.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store