Breeding Tank Setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PikeLee

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
NY
www.freewebs.com
I’m trying to set up a breeding tank (For Dwarf Cichlids). I’ve read in numerous articles that their basic is setup consists of the following:

Sponge Filter
Heater
Bare Bottom Tank
Some Slate
Pots
Java Moss and/or other plants

My questions, “Why is the Bare Bottom Necessary or preferred in a Breeding Tank?”

I’m also thinking of using my Breeding Tank for my Spare Low Light Plants to just grow out since my main tank has too much lighting now. Some substrate would help out my plants, but growing my plants is not my main priority. Breeding is. So if having a “Bare Bottom” Tank helps in breeding, a “Bare Bottom” is what I’m going to go with.

All the other elements specified above are already in my breeding tank.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Since fry need absolutely clean water conditions, the bare tank floor is recommended. It is more conducive to thorough cleanings as all detritus may be seen and subsequently quickly removed.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
ChilDawg has it exactly right. If you would like to have plants, look for some small terra cotta pots and plant in them. The plants will help maintain water quality, though you won't want to be fertilizing the water column, so use a quality substrate. Another option would be to have anubias or african ferns, and allow them to attach to the slate/pots.

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
and it also healps them find bits of food easier, I have gravel in my krib tank, but I'm too lazy to take it out, and the fry seem fine.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I have a 10 gallon breeding tank for my albino bristlenoses. It contains about 50 1 inch plecos. The bare bottom makes it MUCH easier to clean all the "garbage" from the bottom. I personally dont like sponge filters, so I am using the smallest aquaclear with a sponge over the intake pipe so the fry wont be sucked up. The slate/rocks is good so the fry can feel protected... The plants will convert the Nitrates to a harmless byproduct. i personally dont have plants in the tank. I also have a air curtain to increase oxygen content.
Some people change the water frequently... I change it once a week at 50 percent.

PikeLee

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
NY
www.freewebs.com
Thanks a lot for all the responses. Can anyone tell me who I can send an email to get my account set up right. I never get an email when someone replies to one of my posts.

Anyways, Like I said “thanks”. My breeding tanks already have some fine substrate in them. I’m thinking of getting rid of it on one of my tanks just to experiment and see if it makes a big difference with the cleaning.

As for the plants, I’ll just put it in one of my other tanks and if I find that the “Bare Bottom” Method works, I’ll go with the clay pots or the attaching to the Slate/pot/driftwood.

I’ll be posting a somewhat related question in a bit about Breeding tanks and Water changes. I figure we break the posts into topics so other can find something they’re interested in. Anyways, I’m going through a dilemma right now with my water. My water is 7.8 ph and is slightly hard. The fish I’m trying to breed need Soft/acidic water. I’ll give some details in the post I’ll be creating in the near future.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Gourami_Boy

AC Members
Feb 25, 2003
UK
Visit site
Good luck!

Good luck with the breeding! Make sure you have lots of plants for female to hide in, ive found that when breeding females seem to become very shy and the more happy the mother is i presume the better the breeding will go..

PikeLee

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
NY
www.freewebs.com
Thanks for the luck Gourami B. I need it. I had my fish spawn before when I wasn’t trying, now that I’m trying they’re not going for it. Hopefully my fish will be spawning soon.

I just posted my water question “Peat Water Softening/PH Lowering”…(I know, another Peat Question
:rolleyes: )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store