Angelfish question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

uddave99

AC Members
Jan 19, 2006
New Jersey
I have a 55 gallon tank and recently purchased three zebra angelfish. I've never purchased angelfish before, but my wife liked them and they are big enough to handle the gourami's. The rest of the tank is stocked with gourami's (3 blues, 3 golds, 2 dwarfs and 2 blood red), two tiger barbs, and two very active cory cats. Water quality seems fine, ph 7.2, soft water, ammonia is very slightly elevated, but no where near toxic.

The gourami's and barbs don't really bother the angelfish, however, I've noticed that the angelfish just hangout at the top of the tank in a group. Is this normal? They don't appear to be gasping, they're just hanging out about half an inch below the water surface. Is this a sign that they are stressed or normal behavior?

fishtankearl82

Registered Member
Jan 16, 2006
From my experience this is fairly normal. I had angelfishs in the past, and found them to be some what boring, very pretty but not that active. NE-ways that just my opinion.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Well, there shouldn't be any ammonia readings at all....but if you've only just introduced the angels into the tank, that could be the reason for the elevated readings.

Do some water changes every day until the ammonia goes down and reads zero and then keep an eye on the nitrite readings..and do the same until those hold at zero.

It could be that they are just feeling out of place from the move...and once they get used to the new quarters and the tank parameters adjust to the added load....they should start behaving normally.

uddave99

AC Members
Jan 19, 2006
New Jersey
Thanks for the info it is very much appreciated. I not only added the angelfish recently, but also the two cory cats. I'm thinking this is the reason for the ammonia spike. I've been doing 10% water changes daily, but the ammonia spike doesn't appear to be affecting the fish, and the water changes don't appear to bringing down the ammonia level. If it doesn't bottom out by the end of the weekend I'll try something else.

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
When ammonia is present, it's imperative to keep it as low as possible. Try doing more than a 10%. Try 30-40% daily and you'll give them a better enviroment until the filter can handle it properly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store