unknown black spots?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jjohns

AC Members
Sep 26, 2003
Bismarck, ND
Visit site
A couple of my sarpae tetras have small black spots on their bodies that slowly grow in size. In addition to that, they also have what looks like a gray dusting that appears in time over these black spot areas. I have tried many different types of treatment and nothing appears to work. I have had other tetras in the past with this problem, and they end up dying after 3 months or so because I cannot find a good medication for this. Does anyone have a good idea of what this could be? Other fish in the same tank can go completely unaffected by it, and it is mostly tetras that I have seen with it. Over the last few months, I have tried salt, Formalin/Malachite Green, Clout, Maracyn Plus and even a few others that I can't think of right now. Nothing seems to affect it. I am not completely sure if it is parasitic, bacterial, or fungal--but I have leaned more toward the parasitic idea. Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

jjohns

AC Members
Sep 26, 2003
Bismarck, ND
Visit site
If this is the dreaded "black spot disease", does anyone know of any treatments that ACTUALLY WORK? I have heard that Paragon II by Aquatronics worked well for this, but they went out of business and you can't get it anywhere. It contained: Metronidazole, Neomycin Sulfate, Furazolidone, Naladixic Acid, and some salt. I could buy all of these items separately to treat it, but was hoping someone with experience could help me out as far as what works best??? Is there any other combo meds similar to Paragon II that will work?

jjohns

AC Members
Sep 26, 2003
Bismarck, ND
Visit site
Now after doing some internet research and looking at some photos, I don't think that I have black spot disease, but instead I think it is myxobacteriosis. It almost resembles a mold on the fish and there are some swollen areas at the base of the dorsal & tail fin. I saw that only Phenocide was a specific treatment for this, but once again--made by Aquatronics and no longer available. I found one site that said to use: Lifebearer with Furazone Green, and then as follow up--Metronidazole. Any ideas???

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
Sorry to hear about your fish. I doubt if anyone knows for sure what it is.

Do you have any pictures of the black spots? Or can you get some pictures?

I've been researching the black spot symptom for almost a year now. I haven’t gotten very far because of the limited info available on the net. Finding pictures of any cases is just as rare.

Black spots are not a tell it all symptom. It could be parasitic, but it could also be caused by Ammonia burn, or TB (Mycobacterium marinum), and Fungal, like you said. Probably over 12 different parasites can cause the spots; Spironucleus for one. You might even read about Black Spot Disease; which needs a bird and a snail to complete its life cycle. I'd like to know how biologists proved that life cycle out.

I have a few general questions that may or may not be related-
What kind of substrate do you have? Sand or gravel? How old is the tank? How often do you vacuum the gravel or stir the sand? Have you checked for ammonia? Did the black spots come from a host fish?

If it's parasitic or bacterial, Jungle Parasite Clear for 3+ weeks might help. This worked for most of my fish.

jshultis

AC Members
Nov 18, 2005
I've had a similar issue. It only shows on my Orange Chromides. ChefKeith and I have had a couple emails about this. I hve yet to find something that works but cen tell you what I tried;

-- salt and heat
-- clout
-- PraziPro
-- Freshwater Bath

I tried the freshwater bath and PraziPro for 4 days with no major chane or success. "ThatPetPlace" recommeded the PraziPro.

Please let me know if either find anything that works effectively. Unfortunately I can't get a good enough picture to post.

Thanks
Jesse

jjohns

AC Members
Sep 26, 2003
Bismarck, ND
Visit site
I don't have any pictures of the black spots, and since I don't have a digital camera, I probably won't be able to get any anytime soon. To answer your ?'s, I have a gravel substrate, I vacuum every 1 to 1.5 weeks, the tank is about 3 years old, there is no measurable or detectable ammonia using test kits, and yes, I do believe that these spots came from a host fish. THe first fish I had with these spots was around a year ago, and was a Columbian tetra. It started out as small black specks, which grew into patches, and eventually covered enough of his middle section that he died a few months after showing the intial tiny specks. And, since then, it has a been a few tetras here and there that it has appeared on--serpaes, lemon tetras, Columbian tetras, etc. And, I have a separate tank with a Red-Tailed (or pink-tailed) Chalceus in it that also appears to show some dull black tinted areas on his funs now too. A Chalceus is in the same family as tetras, and is the only fish in that tank with symptoms--there are mostly cichlids and larger, more aggresive fish in there. So, since he is related to tetras, and they are really the only ones with symptoms in the other tank, I think they must be the most suseptible. I wasn't too concerned with a couple tetras here and there with it, but I didn't want my discus, angels, or cichlids to get it. But, now when it appeared in my other tank (and I try to be very careful about cross contamination between tanks), I am concerned. That Red-tailed Chalceus isn't easy to catch and gets spooked very easily, so he would have to be treated with something in the original tank, which is a 90 gallon. That could be $$$$ for meds. But, the tetras are in a 30 gallon which I don't have any problem treating the whole tank there if I have too.

I am suspecting that it is myxobacteriosis, and I might try treating for that with a combo scheme. I will do more research on that and see what I can come up with. One person had luck with that Paragon II, but it isn't available anymore. I really wish Aquatronics was still in business, because in my opinion, they were the only company that made any meds that REALLY worked! I had really good luck with their stuff in the past, so I will have to see what I can come up with from other makers. Please post any other ideas or info if anyone has any. Thanks.

jjohns

AC Members
Sep 26, 2003
Bismarck, ND
Visit site
Just a description I found about Myxobacteriosis (which I found out is DIFFERENT from Mycobacteriosis--which is fish tuberculosis and is not treatable) (I thought maybe it was a typo):

Myxobacteriosis-- caused by Flexibacter maritimus bacteria-- symptoms are Skin ulcers; necrosis; fin erosion--measures to take are Antibiotic treatments

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
My fish got the black spots from a host fish also. I had the host fish quarantined for 4 weeks before I released them in my main tanks (which was last April). I didn't think the black spots were a problem because a few people told me it was normal and that the spots might go away on their own. The black spots spread to all my clown loaches and to my Tiger Barbs within a few weeks. As time went, it got worse and worse. After a few months a few of my fish died, which I believe were the host fish.

Finally in July or August, I tried Paragon II for the black spots on some of my fish. It worked like a charm. It cleared the spots up in about 2-3 weeks. I ran out of the Paragon II though.

I then treated the rest of my clowns with Parasite Clear and some Triple Sulfa. All the spots cleared up in about 4 weeks.
I have dated pic's of the outbreak here-
http://photobucket.com/albums/c49/chefkeith/black spot/

During the treatment, I also changed all my substrate. I think the sand substrate that I had might have contributed to the outbreak.

I'm still not sure what the cause of the black spots was. I think perhaps the bacteria or fungus or parasite was cultivating in the substrate. The former owner of the host fish told me the clowns were from a tank that was just being broken down. Maybe they were infected at that time.

I wish I had pictures from others to compare it to though, then I could probably boil down exactly what it was.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
I'll try extra hard to get some pics this weekend. None of the other dollars have it, and I'm sure it's not the same thing as what you guys are having problems with, but you'll be able to rule this out anyhow.

Roan

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
Myxobacteriosis could be a good explanation for what happened with my fish. A host fish started it, then maybe water quality issues helped it spread to the other fish. If this is possible, it would explain alot. Perhaps my sand substrate caused the water quality issues; maybe it had some anerobic pockets. But I was doing lots of water changes for months (about 2- 35% per week) because I didn't want water quality to be a facter with the black spots.
There are so many if's and but's.

Myxobacteriosis could be the reason for the rainbowfish ulcers I had also. I thought the ulcers were from their diet being to high in protein.

Have you seen any pictures of a Myxobacteriosis infection anywhere?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store