nitrate problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jason2894

cichlids,cichlids,cichlids!!!!!!!!!
Jan 13, 2006
Ohio
well its not really a problem but it may get out of hand. my nitrates are constantly staying on the high end of the safe parameters between 30 and 40 ppm. its a 56 gallon tank with 2 small GT's a small grass cutter catfish and a 4 inch albino oscar. i know its a bit much but i am bringing home my 125 in a week to cycle so i dont for see a problem. heres what i am maybe thinking.
i do vac my tank once weekly and perform about a 30 gallon water change along with that.re test and still high nitrates. so i testeed the tap water 0ppm. i tested the tap water with conditioner(just to be safe) 0ppm. i dont wanna add chemicals. the oscar tears up any live plants. the tank is an established tank its been up and running for about 9 months. i have an AC 50, an AC70, and a penguin 350 w/ biowheels. i am pretty sure its probably not a filtration problem since nitrates are the last stage in the cycle correct? well i was reading a post in the newbie forum and the question was about how much substrate needed for a new set up well i have about 3 to 4 inches of gravel in the bottom of my tank. is it possible that the gravel vac just isnt cleaning the the gravel well enough? shall i maybe try to remove some of the gravel? and if so can i leave the fish in the tank while i do so or should i remove them into buckets? any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated. thank you guys in advance.

aquarob

I give up!
Jan 1, 2006
Well, in my opinion you have got too much gravel in your tank, and that explains why your nitrates are running high. With nearly 4 inches of gravel, you are probably having bad bacteria build up on the bottom layer of gravel. (The bacteria that makes sulfuric gas) Also food particulates get down in there and rot, creating ammonia, and ultimately nitrates.

I would take some gravel out, until you get down to no more then 2 inches in the bottom. While you do this I would take the fish out, crank up the filters, remove the ornaments and give the gravel a really good vaccuuming.

After the vacuum, remove all but 2 inches, stir the gravel really well, and break up all the gas pockets that may have accumulated on the very bottom. Let the filters turn the water over for an hour to remove the floating gunk you stirred up, then pop your fish back in. You should be good to go. Hope that helps.

jason2894

cichlids,cichlids,cichlids!!!!!!!!!
Jan 13, 2006
Ohio
well i appreciate ur help and i will certanilnly give that a try i hope it works cuz i am so tired of constantly battling with these high low end nitrate readings

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store