Striped Raphael Catfish + S. Bichir = ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

XxDr@g0nTamerxX

Bichirs = My Lil' Sea Dragons
Jan 18, 2006
Jamestown, North Carolina
Hello Everyone,
I have a question on a fish that I ran across on the internet today. It's called a Striped Raphael Catfish (aka Talking Catfish). I am also wanting to put a Senegal Bichir in my 55G that I'll be getting soon. I know that you want bigger fish around the Bichir, and something bigger than its mouth is usually better. My question is, even though the Striped Raphael Catfish only grows to be somewhere between 5"-8" and has these spines that can cause a nasty pinch from what I read. Would it be safe in the tank with the Bichir. From the way I see if, the Striped Raphael Catfish can take care of its self with those spines. Do you think the Bichir would still try to eat it?
Thank you for your help

Shane, :dive:

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
I would like to see it try. that sounds like a great mach

XxDr@g0nTamerxX

Jan 18, 2006
Hah, I think it would be too, but of course I'm not looking for a Aquarium War. I'm just trying to find what other fish would go well with the Bichir so I know what my options are.

Shane,

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
There is a catfish I'm looking to get, don't know how prevelant they are, but you might want to check it out also. its called a twig catfish the scientific name is Farlowella acus .

Hah just looked it back up and noticed they are one and the same.. let me know if you find any.

edit:

I looked again and they are different..Yours has a different scientific name.

Last edited:

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
farowellas and rapheals are someof my favorates, and i have kept them since i started keeping fish. the rapheal is community but the armour alows it tolorate aggresion. farlowellas, although i own an f. gracilis, the only main difference is that acus has a paddle like nose, and thegracilis has o long slinder nose. the farlowella does not have the tolerance for much aggresion. a large one may or may not work, since there aggresion can range from thatofa common gourmai, to that of a very aggresive cichlid. they are cheap here ($6) and range from 3"- 8". they have three tanks full, because I have helped to make them popular by telling people there benifits: will not outgrow a tank (Unlike most pleco), will not get aggresive (like common pleco depended on certain cercumstances), will not get lazy (like most old plecos), will not engulf the floor with waste(like plecos), and look great.

XxDr@g0nTamerxX

Jan 18, 2006
So do you think that they will fit nicely in my future 55G tank?
I was looking into the Rapheals and I liked them. I haven't really seen many over here in NC, but I'm sure sooner or later one of the LFS here will start to carry them. You say that the Rapheal would be a good addition? I hope so.
Thank you for the information!

Shane, :cool:

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
rapheals like to school. what else do want in the tank.

XxDr@g0nTamerxX

Jan 18, 2006
You see, thats what I'm trying to figure out. Its one thing to know what you want in the tank with the Bichir, but a complete different thing for what you are able to put in there and have survive. I figured the Raphael would be okay in there seeing how its a decent size plus it has those spines for protection just in case.
I really could use a good list of fish that would be good middle tank dwellers & top tank dwellers. I'll let you know when I figure it out though!
Thanks!

Shane,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store