Strips or test tube to test water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Strip Test or Test Tube?

• Strip/Dip Test

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Test Tubes

Votes: 46 88.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

betsonmets12

AC Members
Jan 2, 2006
I was curious to see if I should buy the dip strips or the test tube kit. Let me know what you think.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I use AP Freshwater Master Test Kit. I don't think the dip tests i've used are very accurate. JMO.

Mark

betsonmets12

AC Members
Jan 2, 2006
How much is the shipping on that?

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
The AP Freshwater test kits are more accurate, and more cost effective. Check out Big Al's for shipping costs. In Canada I know shipping is free if you purchase min. $35...easy to do if you add some food or water treatments to the tab. :)

Persimmon

Bubbles Bubbles
Jan 17, 2006
NO CA
The test tube, I have the AP test kit as well and petsmart had them for $13.49 last week. It doesn't matter what the shipping is because by the time you spend all the money on all the different test kit stick types and know that each of those only give you 10-25 tests each...you are much better off making the plunge and buying the better kit in the first place.

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
I lost the instructions and cards to my test tube kit so my boyfriend bought me some test strips....So, yall are saying not to trust the strips? They pretty much said that everything in my tank is maxed out except for Nitrite. :huh:

Puffernewbee

AC Members
Dec 9, 2004
Katy, TX
I have used both and they both work well. The test tubes are more accurate, but the strips are pretty close. I like the strips for a quick check.

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
what are the effects of hard water? I have tried to search the forums for this and cant find anything..... I have really hard water...will this cause my fish any problems?

Bosemani Fan

AC Members
Oct 15, 2005
Tennessee
jodimartin2003 said:
what are the effects of hard water? I have tried to search the forums for this and cant find anything..... I have really hard water...will this cause my fish any problems?

General hardness (GH) refers to the dissolved concentration of magnesium and calcium ions. When fish are said to prefer ``soft'' or ``hard'' water, it is GH (not KH) that is being referred to.
Note: GH, KH and pH form the Bermuda's Triangle of water chemistry. Although the three properties are distinct, they all interact with each other to varying degrees, making it difficult to adjust one without impacting the other. That is one reason why beginning aquarists are advised NOT to tamper with these parameters unless absolutely necessary. As an example, ``hard'' water frequently often comes from limestone aquifers. Limestone contains calcium carbonate, which when dissolved in water increases both the GH (from calcium) and KH (from carbonate) components. Increasing the KH component also usually increases pH as well. Conceptually, the KH acts as a ``sponge'' absorbing the acid present in the water, raising the water's pH.

Water hardness follows the following guidelines. The unit dH means ``degree hardness'', while ppm means ``parts per million'', which is roughly equivalent to mg/L in water. 1 unit dH equals 17.8 ppm CaCO3. Most test kits give the hardness in units of CaCO3; this means the hardness is equivalent to that much CaCO3 in water but does not mean it actually came from CaCO3.

General Hardness

0 - 4 dH, 0 - 70 ppm : very soft
4 - 8 dH, 70 - 140 ppm : soft
8 - 12 dH, 140 - 210 ppm : medium hard
12 - 18 dH, 210 - 320 ppm : fairly hard
18 - 30 dH, 320 - 530 ppm : hard
higher : liquid rock (Lake Malawi and Los Angeles, CA)

It all depends on what fish you have, some fish do better in Hard water some do best in soft water, and some do best in the Medium hard water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store