krib has a big lump on his head?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kewlparrotz

AC Members
Dec 24, 2002
Visit site
hey does anyone know what this is or how to take care of it? its the male and hes getting a huge bump on his head so what should i do?
hope ya guys help thanks
kurt

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
To clarify, it is called a nuchal hump. I have never heard of Kribs getting it, but the previous poster is correct in saying that male cichlids will get one and show that they are male by its presence. Maybe some Kribensis owners could shed a little light?

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
you have a pic of it?
on closer inspection. my male krib has a very small lump on his head, but it covers his whole forehead, so I assume it's what you talking about.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
yes many fish get the nuchal hump, inclduing but not limited to red devil complexs, convicts, jack dempseys, etc. many fish get this and is no problem to their health.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
i just think its part or your kribs heredity and that it is just in his past and thats why that 1 particular krib has the hump, cause convicts are the same way, one may have a hump buit the other does not, like my brothers male cons. one has a hump (hes not the dominant 1) and only about 2", the other male con has no hump at all. so i dont thiun it has to do with age as much as heredity and genes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store