yellow tang doesnt look right

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
i have yellow tang that eats, but stays very thing and also has few pale small areas on his body. what is wrong? :confused:

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
i wanted to add that those areas white like. i have been adding vitamins and garlic in his food for over a week now and everything is still the same. what do i do? i also have reef and no qt.

Pineapple

Love4Monsters
Dec 11, 2005
This is what happened to my Tang. I gave him away to another reef aquarist after the search ended for my Coral b’s.
It was internal parasite. He would eat but stay thin and because of this he developed red areas. You could try feeding him metrodiazole in light quantity. Feed him soaked foods in Selcon to boost health.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
Pineapple, the parasite you are talking about is one that i have heard of before. The tang is noramlly weakened due to improper feeding (not enough vegies) normally. Eventually the fish sucumbs to the parasite leaving red blotches or streaks behind. to cure the fish, improved feeding is needed and higher or better quality vegetable food is recommended.

Pineapple

Love4Monsters
Dec 11, 2005
Mysis,

Diet and water quality should be checked first but this doesn’t always work. That’s way you always have a plan B. My tang had an internal parasite that diet and water quality alone would not cure.

USCavalry19d

AC Members
Oct 27, 2005
Lexington, ky
i went through the same thing with my tang when i was just a beginner. I simply bought a lettuce clip and dried sea weed ( you can get this from your local grocery store with the asian foods. Used for wrapping sushi) the Tang loved the dried sea weed. when i stick it in the tank its looks like a kid on a sugar rush. The Tang goes crazy and now he is nice and healthy and well getting fat.

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
i will deworm my tang just in case. he started eating more nori too. i have been giving him lots of garlic and he eats better every day.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
Pineapple, can you tell me the name of the internal parasite that caused this? i have never heard of internal parasites causing red blotches or streaks.

Also if the fish is a recent import it also may show red blotches due to improper water conditions, oftenly a series of water changes to improve water quality will clear it up, along with examining your filtration to make sure that no improvements need to be done for long term stability. And if the condition seems to get worse then you should QT the fish and use antibiotics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store