Black dust in goldfish's tank??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goldygrrl

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
I have recently noticed what appears to be a fine black dust covering the gravel in my shubunkin goldfish's tank, and coating the leaves of the plants. I consulted my local aquarium store as to the identity of this substance and was advised that it was black algae and that it is harmless. Just wanted to get a second opinion, as I'm extremely attached to my precious little shubunkin and want to make sure there is nothing unhealthy going on with his water. FYI, this is kind of an unusual tank and an unusual fish....Hank, my shubunkin, is a "traveling" goldfish....my husband and I own a disaster recovery company that requires us to move around constantly, and Hank goes with me everywhere. I just set his tank behind the passenger seat of my 4Runner and we're on our way. We just took a rather long trip from east Texas to Kansas City last week, and I'm concerned that this might have contributed to this recent black dust issue. Please advise. Thanks!

NotGumbel

The Dude
Nov 5, 2004
Elkins, WV USA
Did you just recently add or change charcoal filter media?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store