Goldfish loosing scales

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
Hi there. I recently moved my goldfish to a bigger tank (about 2 weeks ago).

On friday, I saw my goldfish was missing a scale, and I thought he bumped on some decor or something. However, yesterday (sunday) I returned home from a weekend trip and found him like this.

I'm worried about the missing scales all around the body and the fins. I am plannig on moving him today to a solo tank. My main concern about this is that I dojn't know if this looks like a bacterial problem or pl*co bites.

There is a 3" common pleco in that tank. The goldfish is a about 5.5".

Before I left on friday, I tested the water and it showed Ph 7.8, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10ppm nitrate. Performed a 25% water change and rinsed the filter media.

Please, I sedd help ideintifying the cause of this. Thanks in advance.

NotGumbel

The Dude
Nov 5, 2004
Elkins, WV USA
I'm not really sure what would initially cause the problem -- I thought perhaps water quality, but those numbers are fine.

Before I found Aquaria Central & learned how to properly stock and maintain a tank, I had a fantail in a tank with a few corys. I noticed the corys swarming over the fish as if they were cleaning him - then noticed a few missing scales!

The cause in my case was the water quality. But I think the problem with missing scales came from an irritation to the fish's skin which attracted scavengers.

I've not had a pleco, though I've read they can find goldfish slime coating to be tasty - the markings and scale loss doesn't look like the round pattern you'd expect from a pleco latching on though, doesn't it?

Hoping for a speedy resolution and that your goldfish is fine once again soon.

CBTF

;(
Jan 2, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Sorry, not related to pata's questiom but..Gumbel, you mentioned the cories biting your fish.. how long did it take to notice the scales missing? I recently bought my 3 cories and they do that to my betta but he doesnt even seem to notice he just sits there.. it doesnt look like bites.. kinda like cleaning, its all very fast. But he doesn't react like i'd expect if something was biting.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Pleco attack!

A cory catfish won't do that, but a pleco will. the pleco is probably hungry, the goldfish is eating any wafers you put in for the pleco, the pleco attacks the goldfish at night.

Add salt, for the missing scales and slime coat are inviting bacteria and parasites, possibly lethal to the fish.

Get rid of the pleco ASAP.

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
bump!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store