"special" convicts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
ok, my convicts layed eggs on the top of the cave 5 days ago. 2 days later eaten. after they ate the eggs, they cleared gravel like crazy. today I turned my lights on a little late at about 5 pm central time. i do a quick visual head count as i do every otherday. all found right away but the female. I check the breeder cave and after laying eggs at top about 10 times know, she lays them at the bottom like a normal convict, on the UGF panel. twice in a week eggs are layed! maybe she will be comfertable enough with the eggs in a new position to let them hach!

you made me ink

SAVED YOUR LIFE!
Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Texas
i had a pair of cons and they had babies succesfully twice in the time i had them (i only have the male now he basicly sarved the female) and she always laid her eggs at the top of the cave and never had any problems but mabey that will work for your fish

Flowerhorn916

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Sacramento, Ca
Are your cons alone? You will ge the best hatch rate if your fish are alone. Otherwards just give them time and they will hatch. Sometimes the fish have to get abit more mature before they are capable of hatching eggs.

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
they are with an 8" blood parrot and everything else the sig. says. they are still there and the female seems happier that she dosn;t have to twist her body to fan them.

Lazersniper

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
WI
Visit site
Actually sometimes, they just might need that extra kick in the but to become real parents. If they don't feel a threat from anything, they may end up being very poor parents. Or they may just get bored and eat the babies themselves. With other fish around they'll be more apt to be more protective.

Flowerhorn916

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Sacramento, Ca
I disargee w/ lazersniper I have had seveal con pairs all alone w/ no problems. A good way to perk up your fish for breeding is feeding them krill/earth worms/guppies ect.

Flowerhorn916

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Sacramento, Ca
BTW I would think if your cons do breed in that tank your syno will eat the eggs before anything can ever hatch.

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
Your having problems because your tank is STILL over-crowded. If you want to breed fish, you will need some dedicated breeding tanks. All you will ever do in that tank is make live food for any one of the large predatory fish that will eventually grow up and slaughter each other. But you've been told that before, so I'll just let it drop.

Flowerhorn916

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Sacramento, Ca
mooman said:
Your having problems because your tank is STILL over-crowded. If you want to breed fish, you will need some dedicated breeding tanks. All you will ever do in that tank is make live food for any one of the large predatory fish that will eventually grow up and slaughter each other. But you've been told that before, so I'll just let it drop.[/QUOTE

:thm: :thm:

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
half of them are gone but still there. I'll let nature take its course and just let them hach or be eaten. I will give them a 30 gallon to themeselves in the summer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store