Heater Orientation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Luca Brazzi

AC Members
Oct 12, 2002
Visit site
Im planning to build a sump for my soon-to-be 75 gallon tank. Since Ive been thinking alot about this I have thought about the stand and sump configuration. The stand must accomadate the sump right? Should I build the sump, then... build a stand to house it or... build a stand that goes with the tank... then build a sump that fits in it.

One Idea I saw was to build a 2x4 frame stand but offset one of the front upright beams to one side so that I would have more room to slide a sump in there. Would this cause an issue with loading?

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
first off, i must ask.... what does the title have to do with the question? :confused: :D

anyways, when i build stands i do it in one of two ways. The first way is to build just what is needed for the sump part, then slide the sump in then finish building.

the other way is i make the entire stand and leave the two support braces that go on the front center. after the sump is in place, i just hammer them in. the weight of the tank keeps them in place.

Luca Brazzi

AC Members
Oct 12, 2002
Visit site
Ooops I forgot to put the rest of the post in there...

What I meant to add to that post was that I bought 2 150 watt EBO Jagger heaters which I intend to put into the sump. They are 13" long. Should these heaters be placed in the sump so that they point front to back with the water in the sump flowing across them, or can they be placed in the sump longways so that the water flows end to end?

The reason I ask is because if they can be oriented longways then I can construct a skinny and long sump instead of a fat one. This would allow for a skinnier stand. The tank is only 18" wide so if I build a 2x4 frame, that will knock off at least 5 inches inside of the stand, not enough room for a sump wide enough to fit the heaters in if they are positioned front to back in the sump.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
ive seen heaters positioned both ways. Mainly personal preference and whatever is easier for your system.

HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store