English English & American English

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
You can throw Canadian English in there too if you want. ;)

We were discussing some of the differences in our language in the 'About Forum' section. Thought I'd bring it over here.

Our last discussion was about Football and Soccer... I mean, Football.

;)

Lila

DansMarineTank

This ship is England!
Dec 13, 2004
Ipswich (UK)
Maybee if i get some pictures together you guys can name them in american?

We call the bit at the front, under which the engine is housed, a bonnet.

We call the bit at the back, that lifts and reveals storage space a boot

A gentleman is filling his car with petrol

This is called a gear knob

back to the football thing, Ipswich (UK), the small town i live in, actually has an american football (NFL) team the Ipswich Cardinals I may give them a look. I am a footballer 5ft 10" 10 stone 5Lb but i bet if i was to wear more armour than Sir Lancelot i would be able to play American Football.

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
The engine is under the hood.

The storage place is a trunk.

Fill the car with gas.

The shifter is the fourth.

And, if you were playing with 400 pound linemen you would want allot of armor too.

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
I learned 'bonnet', 'boot' and 'loo' when I was in Jr. High.

That's a hood.

A trunk.

Gas.

Gear shift (or stick)

And that is not football pads, darling. That's a suit of plate armor. Sorry, armour.

;)

Lila

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
I think rugby is the toughest sport out there. Those guys are just insane and don't wear any padding. English football, being just soccer, isn't any rougher than NBA basketball. You are allowed to bump a little, but get a foul called if its excessive.

There was a comment made earlier about some NFL guys being excessively large. Well, there are multiple defensive and offensive linemen going to the Pro Bowl who are in the 340+ pound range. 300 pounds is the norm. Its amazing how quick these big guys are, and it typically takes two 250 lb players to guard them....or another 340 pounder. They have a singular job function: don't let anyone get by them...and they do it well. They are professionals, so stay as huge as they need to be.

...back to language... "knickers" ....is this the English word for underwear or do people in America use it?

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
knickers...I use it sometimes. When conversing with the English.

There's a saying they have the I like to use (cept round my husband. He hates when I use their slangs). 'That just gets on my t*ts'.

LOL. That cracks me up.

I also use, 'P*ss take' or 'taking the p*ss'.

They've got some cool slangs! What?

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
Galaxie said:
...back to language... "knickers" ....is this the English word for underwear or do people in America use it?
Isn't that a basketball team in New York. :D

"T"

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
Does Scots-English count :p:

I've learned to adjust my way of speaking through the years. It was hard to say soccer instead of football. Didn't seem right. Anyway it's just words. The only thing that makes me cringe a bit is when people here say plaid when they really mean tartan.

DansMarineTank

This ship is England!
Dec 13, 2004
Ipswich (UK)
a firend of mine is very much into his slang

let me translate a few

"Thats well weapon" - very good
"the nuts" or the "Muts Nuts" or "Dogs Danglys" - very good
"Ball Bags" - Bad or Whack as you yankees would say

lila - I have found a picture of an NFL footballer now

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
Let's not forget "Pram" instead of baby carriage or that "napkins" over here are not "napkins" across the pond. Yeah, the way they used p***ed cracks me up, too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store