Tank mates for the African cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

grumpypunkbear

Registered Member
Jan 18, 2006
ok i am new to fish aquariums and i had a beta, cichlid, three bala sharks and three rainbow sharks all in one tank. the cichlid killed my beta the first day they were in the tank. today, about five days later, i found a bala shark dead. i'm not sure that he killed it since i didn't witness it but i have my assumptions that he did. are there any other fish that can live in the tank with the cichlid? i am planning on moving the sharks out to another tank.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
the only fish that belong in a tank with African cichlids is other African cichlids.

mereychica

Registered Member
Jan 24, 2006
cichlid friends

Hey, we have an extremely rare gentle cichlid, but I can tell you what I have been told. They DON"T like to be in tanks with other big fish, except for a rare few kinds. They can sometimes do better with smaller fish, but then again may eat them. Every one is different. From what i've learned your best bet would be to get one that is more of the bonier kind, can't think of the name, but one's that are like catfish or cory's. Hope this helps! YOU DO NOT WANT TO PUT ANOTHER AFRICAN CICHLID IN IF YOURS IS AGRESSIVE!

Last edited:

asuraX

Registered Member
Feb 23, 2005
Kribs

I've tried a few fish with my 6 kribs, one actively breeding pair. I've had good luck with tiger barbs I have 5 in the tank and no problems in 5 months. A LFS that is now closed suggested platys, they were snacks.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
YOU DO NOT WANT TO PUT ANOTHER AFRICAN CICHLID IN IF YOURS IS AGRESSIVE!
actually this is incorrect. most often, the aggression exhibited by east african cichlids is diminished by having more, rather than less of them.

jason2894

cichlids,cichlids,cichlids!!!!!!!!!
Jan 13, 2006
Ohio
yes in some cases overstocking some african cichlids is a good thing. but i can also share from my own expericience that if u move the agressor most likely another will step into his place(when dealing with african cichlids). the only success i have had with africans in other tank settings is i put a red zebra in with my south americans and he did fine he calmed right down and still swimmin today.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store