Freshwater snails, great algae eaters!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr SnailZ

AC Members
Nov 10, 2005
USA
Well I've got more snails than I have room for so here's your chance to add some great additions to your tank or pond. These guys are great at eating algae, left over food, dead fish, and other debris. They do a great job at keeping all my tanks spotless. Snails add color and life to an aquarium besides help keep it clean. Alot of people have a misconception about snails being pests when most really aren't. I will give a brief description of each type below.

Prices-

Cana: $4
Marisa: $2
Common Ramshorn: $1
MTS: three for $1
Blue Brig: $4
Purple Striped Brig: $4
Pink Striped Brig: $4

All the snails are currently between pea and marble size.

You can check out pictures of my snails at:
http://photobucket.com/albums/c227/Mr_SnailZ/

Shipping:
Priority shipping will be $7.95 and includes a heat pack
Overnight shipping will be $21.95, includes a heat pack and alive arrival guarantee

I have had great success shipping snails via priority but cannot guarantee their live arrival this time of year. I package the snails very well as I of course want them to get to you safely but if your snails do happen to arrive doa I will re-ship for free if you cover shipping.

I am new to this board and just found it recently. I am a good honest guy. Check out my eBay feedback if you feel uneasy about buying from me. My eBay name is Mr_SnailZ. My feedback is currently 162 and is 100%.

So here's the info on the snails:

All of the below snails need to be kept in freshwater tanks between 68-82 degrees. They live well with fish that don't eat them. I would avoid putting them in with fish such as oscars, loaches, larger cichlids, or any other fish that will bite off their tentacles. The tentacles will grow back but the snail will hate you for it. Snails will eat algae but also need to be fed. Think of a snails diet as that of a pleco. Anything a pleco will eat a snail will eat. If there is not enough food for them throw in some algae wafers or veggies. I personally feed my snails french cut green beans. A $1 bag will last you a long time!

Okay, now onto more specifics:

Cana-(pomacea canaliculata) These are my favorite of all the snails I own. Unfortunately they will DEVOUR your plants right before your eyes so don't plan on keeping them in a planted tank. They grow huge, reaching the size of a baseball. They are great at eating algae and are ALWAYS hungry! They don't get huge for no reason! They are awsome in a tank with no live plants and will keep it spotless. These snails lay eggs above the water line and can easily be removed if unwanted. They need both a male and female to reproduce. These snails are great in ponds but need to be removed during cold weather.

Marisa-(Marisa Cornuarietis)(Giant Columbian Ramshorn) These are really neat snails and grow to about 2 inches. They don't devour live plants like canas but will eat them if there is no other food available. They lay eggs underwater in clear sacs that can easily be removed if unwanted. Marisas do a great job at keeping your aquarium clean as well. They need a male and female to reproduce.

Common Ramshorn-(european ramshorn) These little guys only grow to about 3/4" and will NOT eat your plants. Many people breed these snails as food for their fish. They look very similar to marisas but range from red to brown in color. They lay egg sacs underwater like marisas and are easily removed if unwanted.

MTS-(Malaysian Trumpet Snail) These snails look like the fancy MTS on my photobucket page but are not the fancy type. The MTS for sale are more of a plain tan/brown color with spots. MTS are EXCELLENT in planted tanks. They will NOT eat plants and burrow through the substrate thus aerating the plants roots. There is absolutely no reason not to have these snails in every aquarium you own. These snails are livebearers and reproduce very quickly. They do not need a male and female to reproduce. They will multiply quickly but don't fret, it will not hurt your tank. They mostly only come out during the night so you will never see them anyways.

Blue, Purple, and Pink Brigs-(Pomacea bridgesii)(Mystery Snail) These are the most common snails kept by aquarium hobbyists. They will NOT eat your live plants. They will however eat dead vegetation, but don't worry if your plants are alive! You won't find Brigs of these colors ANYWHERE! They have been selectively bred to produce these rare colors. You have to check out the pic of these guys! Brigs and sometimes canas are often sold as "mystery snails" simply because pet shops don't know what type of snails they are actually selling. They only sell boring yellow and black snails. Why not add the best to your aquarium? You can show off their amazing colors in your tank. Don't risk accidentaly throwing a Cana in your planted aquarium. Ask around, many people have purchased a mystery snail only to have their plants mowed down overnight by a cana. Brigs are a great addition to any aquarium and are great at cleaning up! They will eat the algae out of that little crevice on that little castle that you just can't get clean! Don't miss out on this opportunity!

I am always happy to give any advice or suggestions or answer any questions.

I accept paypal and money orders.

Feel free to pm me or e-mail me at jmuzzana@aol.com.

Thanks for looking,
Josh

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Welcome aboard Josh. I didn't see any pics of the purple striped brigs? I'm not familiar with photobucket so maybe I missed something?

Mr SnailZ

AC Members
Nov 10, 2005
USA
The purple striped brigs are in the same photo as the pink and blue brigs listed under the subfolder brigs.

I don't have a picture of the normal mts I have. They look like this but are pretty plain looking compared to these. They are brown with darnk spots on them. Sorry I am not selling any of these fancy mts right now.

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
i would like the 3 of your biggest MTS shipping to Seattle, WA 98144

Also how big do they grow? And will clownloaches bug em since they eat snails but not the larger ones?

PM me, and this is cheeper then what i see on ebay!

Thanks
-Q

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Hrm, yes clown loaches will try to eat them, they may not get all of them but they will try.

Not to rain on anyone's parade but IMHO that price is a little high for MTS. I just bought 50 assorted sized fancy (the ones in your picture) MTS off AquaBid for $4.00+$6.50 shipping=$10.50

At least half of the MTS I received from that buy were 1", so it was a great deal.

Oh, and the person I bought them from also had 100% positive feedback.

I put 10 or so in my rainbow/clown tank. Have to see how many they manage to eat :)

Roan

sayembara

AC Members
Dec 13, 2005
I have a clown loach and many MTS. It is either the loach is well fed or the MTS breed faster than what the loach can eat. I am still searching for any empty MTS shells to prove the second statement.

Mr SnailZ

AC Members
Nov 10, 2005
USA
Yes, Canas grow huge. Some say as big as softballs but I've never seen them bigger then baseballs. Your right roan art, MTS are much cheaper on aquabid. If you want 50 then go to aquabid. Nobody on aquabid provides a variety of snails like I do. I also have a 100% feedback on eBay with 170 feedback. User name: Mr_SnailZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store