fin nipping?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jim4446

AC Members
Jan 2, 2006
Ive got a question
my tank is 29 gallons with the following fish
2 Powder Blue Dwarf Gouramis
1 Redtailed Shark
1 Neon Tetra (the other two died)
1 Black SKirt Tetra (same thing)
and 2 Madagascar Rainbowfish......on a side note theyre really cool, never heard of them before

Ok my poblem is that one of my dwarf gouramis tailfin is ripped, im prewtty sure the other gourami is doing it, im wondering 2 things....1, how can i fixed the fin and 2, should i just get another hiding place, it seems to be what theyre fighting over (i have a big castle)

pwrflpills

AC Members
Oct 19, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
Sounds like you've got a difficult mix of semi-aggressive and community fish in your tank. A trick that has helped me with territorial problems is completely rearranging the tank. This way an older fish that was defending territory is on the same page as the others. But yeah, you would want to make sure they each have places to "reside".

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
You might get a third hiding spot too, that shark is going to want a spot to claim once he gets bigger and/or more aggressive

jim4446

AC Members
Jan 2, 2006
hes sorta big now id say 3-4 inches, but i think thats full grown...he likes to share the castle with the gourami actualy also, theres a ton of room...thanks for answering...
and im tlaking about the shark, he only chases the rainbowfish occaisionally but their bigger so they dont seem to care

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store