Is my dog face puffer sick?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mpeL

Registered Member
Feb 1, 2006
Hello all. I bought a DF puffer a couple days ago and today I noticed these white spots in patches around his body. I don't know if they came on the fish but it doesn't seem to bother him. He eats and swims like any other healthy fish. They look too regularly spaced out to be ick, but I never had a scaleless fish before so I wouldn't know what ick would look like. Hopefully it's nothing serious. Thanks in advance for your help.

dogface.jpg

Lnintaz

AC Members
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
dog face puffer

My puffer looks the same way after he has been puffed up he is a dogface puff also. Seems like when he deflates it leaves these white "pore" looking spots on him for a while then they are gone :D . They are mostly under his chin and stomach area. Hope this helps. If he is eating good, water tests come out fine, and isn't doing any type of scratching. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Asemo

would make out with her dogface.
Feb 26, 2009
Townsville
My dogface has exactly the same condition - it certainly doesn't look like ich and the blowing up thing sounds like it could be plausible. Any followup on this case? Or anyone else having this problem and know for sure what it is/how to treat it?

kleinlax

AC Members
Jan 3, 2009
ive heard that dog faces and other spineless puffers have their spike under their skin??? could be where the "subterranean" spikes poked through

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
why does my dogface puffer swell and swim up side down? What do I need to do?
Sounds like it managed to inhale air (more likely) or has a swimbladder problem. Some have had luck "burping" them by holding them down while inside of a vented container. The pressure can help in "burping" them. The puffer can often (not always, though) burp itself, as well. Sometimes, the issue persists and can dramatically affect feeding habits, etc. to the point of death. Swimbladder issues, however, usually can't be remedied and the fish is often in that state for the rest of its life. Sometimes they learn to eat and function that way, in which case they can live out their lives reasonably normally.

If you need more help, please make another thread so that your situation can be addressed more personally. That way the current thread can stay on topic with the OP.

As for the puffer above, it looks like the classic signs of a fish that has inflated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store