Current Problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lucas68

Registered Fish User
Jan 4, 2006
Newark, DE
I just got a 16 gallon “Bowfront” tank with a hood and a stand. I put 100 watt heater in it and hooked up a Penguin 100 Biowheel power filter. I had put the substrate in then added some plants. I also put a bubble stone on the opposite side of the tank from the filter. After letting it run for a few days, I can see a rather powerful current coming across the front of the tank. It looks like it might be pulling the plants out before they get a good chance to root. Any recommendations on how block this current? I had a similar setup in one of my 10 gallons but never had this problem. I think it’s the curved front of the tank that’s helping it get so strong. Once all the levels are good and stable, I was going to put the fish from the neon tank in it. Would they like the current? Should I put a brick with a stick in there or would the purple string do the job? (Sorry for that last bit.)

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
hmmm i have a big lava rock cave under the filter return in my tank (my pleco likes to sit on top and catch the current )

it seems to slow it down enough not to upset my anubias about six inches to the left, but i don't have a bow front

i'd say rock work or drift wood would be the best way to redirect the flow in any tank tho.

cheers

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Have you tried to adjust the flow? there is usually a way to do that, a little lever at the top of the filter, or by adjusting the intakes?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store