Orange String?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
So I was at the fish store and they are now selling rocks with orange string....No I'm just kidding.... :joke:

But, I have noticed something strange in my tank. Orange string? Well, thats kinda what it looks like. It is floating around my tank. I can't figure out where it is coming from. It looks like small orange fibers floating around my tank. They are about 1/4 inch long. I don't have any clothing that is this color orange (or orange at all) so its not from that. Anyone have any idea what it is?

My tank is planted:

Ammonia:0
Nitrites:0
Nitrates:10
pH:7
Temp:80
I believe I have phosphates because I have red hair algea, which is really black. I am still trying to figure out how to get rid of it.

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
Thats what I thought at first but I dont feed my fish anything that color. They get fed black worms, betta bites, cucumbers, and spinich. Plus is seems to be growing, it branches out, kinda like a tree or and it floats around the tank, not sit on the bottom like poop.

gkeren

...::: BIO RLZ :::...
Jan 18, 2006
california
TipStylez said:
the curse of the string is here!! RUN!

LOL you had me laughing hard on that one.

:laugh:

It could be a sponge. Freshwater ones do exist, and sometimes they come in bright colors, usually very small in size. Also could be an algae (not all are green), or bacterial slime growth. I found a site that has some info, not sure if you'll find it helpful: http://www.umaine.edu/WaterResearch/FieldGuide/inthewater.htm#sponge

Last edited:

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
^Sits true tho...theres another thread with somone asking about a weird string in their aquarium...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store