Apollo Sharks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tHeX

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
I'm looking for some info on them. I can't seem to find much online, and what i do find is confusing. Some info says the need to be in groups, others say they do not get along with each other. Anyone have or had them before?
I recently aquired 4 of them and have them in a 20G with a A. sajica cichlid, pleco, 2 cats, and a tiny albino black shark. The all seem fine together but the apollo sharks do act weird with each other. One is deffinetly chief fish, out swimming back and forth all day while the others hide in the plants (which the chief keeps there). But at night, they swim together.
I have a 55G set up that will be housing my larger (4") albino black shark and would like to add one or all apollo sharks.
Any comments, suggestions, links, info would be appreciated.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Adult size, in the aquarium, is 10-12 inches each. They do better in a group. Need a large aquarium--bigger than a 55--to do well. Prone to jumping. Google Luciosoma and you'll get a lot of info.

tHeX

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
I'm aware of their adult size and tank requirments as adults, and have of course did the google search, and like i said, some say groups, some say one per tank.
Let me clarify, would like to hear from people who have experiance keeping them and behaviors they have witnessed.
Thank you.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Oaky...They tend to be very skittish. They are sensitive to sudden changes in water chemistry (pH shock seems to hit them harder than other fish, IME), but once adapted, they are hardy as long as the tank is big enough. Sudden changes in lighting scare the willies out of them, making them fly around the tank (and into the sides). I had to change my light timer so the lights came on after ambient light was at it's peak. They will ram into the walls of the tank when startled, so you have to watch for damage to the head, and treat infections. They're pretty tough fish, and can deal with some serious abuse from tankmates. Juveniles browsed plants IMT, but the adults tore them up unless very firmly planted, with well established root systems. An opening you swear is too small for the fish to fit through is, sadly, not. Jumpers tend to injure themselves, and unless I caught the fish before it hit the ground, every fish that jumped died within 2 days--no external injuries, so I can only assume internal injuries.

They eat most prepared foods readily. I never had problems with feeding--they didn't out compete my other fish, nor were they timid about going after food.

In the end, I chose not to keep them. Like so many schoalers, 3-5 fish really isn't enough to make them comfortable. Since I couldn't provide a tank big enough for a big bunch, I turned them into the LFS.

tHeX

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
Thanks OrionGirl, thats the kind of reply i was looking for! Trust me, i do my research before i ask, first hand accounts are always nice though. I just can't stand when people reply with telling me to search google, and i notice people do that a lot on forums. At this point, its like....duh?
Anyhoo, they do seem a little skitish, but not that bad. One practecly takes food out of my hand. And feeding is not a problem, flakes, pellets, brine shrimp, black worms, and what not, they take it all, and as you said, are not really greety.
I beleave these are going to be fast growing fish. They already seem to have put on some size after about 2 weeks.
The 55G is going to be temparary until the summer (when my cousin moves and he gives me his 180G). Can't wait for that. I think, and hope, that it will house the Apollo sharks and a black shark nicely.
These are real cool fish that i couldn't part with and hopefully won't have any jumpers (took great care to cover it all up). And i love their arawana/trap door type mouths.
Thanks again....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store