Ich Issues

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jag76

AC Members
Feb 3, 2006
Hello. I'm dealing with an ick issue and was hoping that I cold get some input on a couple of things. I purchased 5 fish 2 days ago from a local fish shop, 3 Roseline Sharks (from 1 tank) and 2 Upside Down Cats (from another tank). Yesterday I noticed that the Roseline Sharks have Ick.

I have some sensitive fish in my tank and I also have soft water with low KH so I'm treating with Aquatronics Quinselex (Quinine HCI) as opposed to the more prevalent options. I'm using it per the manufacture's directions (1 cap, 250 mg I believe, per 10 gallons of water). I'm also planning to use Melafix to (hopefully) deal with some of the tail rot issues I'm starting to see. Planning to dose 3 times, change 25% of the water, put the carbon back in, and cross my fingers. Does that seem reasonable?

Secondly, I'm wondering what protocol is with regards to my approach with the local fish store. The Roseline Sharks represent a $100 investment and they are the only fish with symptoms. Based on that I'm half inclined to ask for at least a partial refund. Would that be completely out of line? Please understand that I'm a newbie here and I may be looking at this all wrong. I'm just looking at the spots, considering the risk to my other fish, and looking at the frayed edges on the fins of the Roselines and considering an analogies to "dry goods" I've purhased that have developed subsequent problems. Like I said though, I may be out of line so I wanted some input.

Thanks!

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
Please read thic sticky on ICH in the article section.
The bottom line is, most otc chemical treatments are very stressful on fish. ICH can be killed with salt (2tsp/gallon, yes, that much) and increase in temp
(82-86F, yes, that high)
I have used this treatment on my 180g with great results, and no loss of fish. I have clown loaches, one of the most senstive scale-less fish, and they did fine.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39759

Sully

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
properly utiized the bottom line on many of the ich meds is that they are not that stressful. I have utilized malachite green at 25% dosage levels and had great results with no apparent ill effect on clown loaches. cleared it in 2-3 days and then continued treatment for another 3 days.

I will at this point ask a question that was asked of me (and i did post a couple of answers with no real problem) when discussing meds vs. salt.

"where is the peer reviewed research that demonstrates salt has a greater efficacy in the treatment of ich? And, that it is less stressful to subject fish to a high ppm level of salt and high temperature (with a decreased oxygen level occurring when the increased metabolic rate of the fish demands more oxygen. And, the increased metabolic rate results in an increased rate of fluid loss from wounds caused by the ich) than it is to utilize many of the otc meds?".

just curious.

budrecki

Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL

YuccaPatrol

Over-filtered
Oct 17, 2004
Sully said:
"where is the peer reviewed research that demonstrates salt has a greater efficacy in the treatment of ich? And, that it is less stressful to subject fish to a high ppm level of salt and high temperature (with a decreased oxygen level occurring when the increased metabolic rate of the fish demands more oxygen. And, the increased metabolic rate results in an increased rate of fluid loss from wounds caused by the ich) than it is to utilize many of the otc meds?".

just curious.
Some reading for the curious. It's a good start, but it looks like you have a good plan for your PhD research to answer all of your questions. This paper simply shows that it is highly effective to use plain old salt:

DOI: 10.1577/1548-8640(1990)052<0124:UOCSTT>2.3.CO;2
The Progressive Fish-Culturist 1990;52:124–127
Use of Common Salt to Treat Ichthyophthiriasis in Australian Warmwater Fishes

PETER M. SELOSSE and STUART J. ROWLAND

New South Wales Agriculture and Fisheries, Inland Fisheries Research Station, Post Office Box 182, Narrandera, New South Wales 2700, Australia

Abstract.—Four species of Australian warmwater fishes were treated for ichthyophthiriasis with 5 g common salt/L. Juvenile silver perch (Bidyanus bidyanus), golden perch (Macquaria ambigua), Murray cod (Maccullochella peeli), and catfish (Tandanus tandanus) recovered from infestations of Ichthyophthirius multifiliis within 2 weeks. All fish in the control treatments died. The treatment eliminated the theronts and trophonts from all host fish by day 7 within the temperature range 19–26°C and by day 14 within the temperature range 11–18°C.
DOI: 10.1577/1548-8640(1990)052<0124:UOCSTT>2.3.CO;2

Last edited:

budrecki

Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
Thanks yuccapatrol. Good to know that the Inland Fisheries Research Station of New South Wales Australia has verified what some of us already know to be true.

YuccaPatrol

Over-filtered
Oct 17, 2004
I did look at several abstracts just now since I am searching similar journals for other marine invertebrate zoology topics for my graduate program.

One was interesting in that it discussed that commercial aquaculture facilities would find it easier and cheaper to treat ponds with medication/chemicals since salt treatments would require huge quantities of salt to be trucked in.

Fortunately, we benefit from the salt treatments because it is much cheaper and easier on our small scale home aquaria.

Sully

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
oh, i don't doubt salt's efficacy. i am wondering where the "more effective" comes from. in several instances over the years i have found malachite green to be quickest to get the job done (yes, i know it is a carcinogenic and must be handled with care). At the same time I have always wondered about the "osmo regulatory distress" angle. Especially when dealing with more fragile juveniles that are typically the type of fish being treated (the value of a qt tank is oh so easy to learn). And, given the increased metabolic rate, need for higher feeding levels, creation of more waste, and the increased need fo oxygen how it all comes together (i saw an article on parasites written a little over a year ago in the Buntbarsche Bulletin where the same discussion topics took place. Obviously the article was written by a far more knowledgeable and educated man than i).

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
oh, i don't doubt salt's efficacy. i am wondering where the "more effective" comes from. in several instances over the years i have found malachite green to be quickest to get the job done
More effective may be a poor choice of words. Better would not be.

As has been repeatedly pointed out over and over and is mentioned in the article. Malechite green is not any quicker than salt, nothing else that your fish can survive is any quicker than salt. None of the commercial meds available, can kill ich while it is on the fish, neither can salt. none of the commercial meds available can kill ich while it is in the substrate, and neither can salt. Salt does not require high temperature any more than the meds do. The time frames for either are the same, and the time frames are dictated by ich. It must fall off the fish and then hatch, at which time it is vulnerable. Until then it is not vulnerable. Once it hatches it only has a few short hours to find a host, and if salt or adequate dosages of meds are in place the ich will die before it finds a host and the protection that host provides. I have yet to find any fish (granted I haven't kept them all) that will react as harshly to salt as it will to full dose medication. I have found many who would not survive full dose meds, but would in fact survive salt. I have yet to find a med that worked with any real success at half dosage. I would much rather put my fish through salt treatment than through malechite green for the time frames that it takes to ensure all ich is dead. additionally I can easily extend those periods with salt and commonly do so for insurance. With meds this simply isn't possible. even the toughest fish won't tolerate meds for any extended period. You yourself cited research showing that Pottassium permangenate only has a 95% kill rate on young ich. Assuming Malechite green, acriflavin, formalin, and so on are in the same realm, there is a least a 5% chance that you will need to treat more than once if you don't extend the treatment periods. All of this adds up to Salt being the better idea.

Half dose meds aren't highly effective, additionally most meds are limited in how long they remain effective (this is why we have to dose daily) So there is fluctuation and vairiables in the actual levels that exist at any given point during the treatment period. There is also the variable of organics since meds attack organic waste as well at the parasites and the fish. The more organics the less effectiveness a dose of meds will have. All of this adds up to meds being more of a gamble than salt for treating ich.

Meds are effective there is no doubt, if they are present in the correct volumes, at the correct times. Salt is effective when it is present in the correct volumes at the correct times. Salt levels are easy to monitor and maintain, med levels are not. Salt levels do not stress fish nearly as much as meds do in any circumstance that I know of, so why anyone would actually put their fish through the stress and gamble of meds (for the purpose of killing ich) is just beyond me.
I do keep meds on hand, there are parasites that salt will not kill, and meds will kill. I don't use those meds for ich, becuase salt makes far more sense.

If people want to use meds that is their choice, But the treatment period needed is the same, and the variables are far greater with meds.

Heat speed up the life cycle and gets the ich off of your fish faster. The faster ich is off your fish the less damage they will endure. Since salt is not as stressful, we can add the heat to speed the cycle. It is generally not reccomended to do this with meds because they are more stressful and the chance of your fish surviving are much slimmer. Heat is not required with either, but will help with either. in any case any tank with ich at whatever temperature will take the same amopunt of time to irradicate whether Salt or meds are present.

Ich does not live well if at all in temperatures above 86*F, some folks push this limit to give ich a double whammy. I don't ever go that high myself.

Dave

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Further to what Dave has posted, I would like to address the use of malachite green. Kordon has toxicity warnings posted on their malachite green web page. I would like to cite the following:

"The toxicity of Malachite Green varies with a number of factors including species of fish and its size, and less with prevailing water conditions. Malachite Green can be used at concentrations of 0.05-0.15 ppm. Used at 0.05 ppm, most species can be treated with little if any toxicity problems. However, care must be exercised when treating known sensitive fishes such as dwarf cichlids, barbs, tetras, gouramis, livebearers, catfish, loaches, mormyrids and scaleless fishes. Keep the fishes being treated under close observation and stop treatment, filter the water with activated carbon and perform a water change if any undue signs of stress are noted. AmQuel can be used to reduce treatment concentrations. Caution must always be exercised when using this product at dosages higher than 0.05 ppm. It is recommended that the literature be consulted in such cases for additional information on treatments.

Water conditions in general do not significantly influence the toxicity of the drug and therefore are not prime considerations for altering treatment procedures. When the drug is used in short term exposures, Malachite Green may tend to be more toxic to some species in warm water than in cold water. Preliminary experiments have demonstrated that hardness or pH of the water has a negligible effect on increasing or decreasing the toxicity of the drug."
http://www.novalek.com/kpd26.htm

Unfortunately, many people are advised to increase the temperature of their tank water while treating for ich. While using products containing malachite green, this can prove disasterous.

M2C
Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store