Nano FOWLR Tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SwimminglyFishy

AC Members
Jan 19, 2006
I've been wanting a saltwater tank for some time now, but for some reason my parents don't want to spend $500-$1000 on a 55 gallon glass rectangle full of salty water (can't imagine why?). Anyway, I have been reading about nano-reefkeeping and was interested in that. However, I think that would be a bit too complicated for my first saltwater tank. I was wondering if I could get the same size (a ten gallon) and make it a FOWLR tank? I would only want to keep a false percula clownfish and maybe one or two other small fish.

Now, if the answer to that question is yes, what kind of filtration, lighting, heating, etc. would I need? Would a ten gallon tank with 50 watt all-glass submersible heater, regular 15 watt flourescent lighting, and a penguin 150 or 200 HOB filter be enough? Is there any other equipment I would need besides the obvious test kits, hydrometer, and thermometer?

If someone could please answer all of these questions, I would be very thankful!

vaderbanger

AC Members
Dec 1, 2005
even a 10g will run ya around 300 bux at least

luckybob611

addicted to water
Jan 23, 2006
fort worth texas
You should be able to buy a 55g and stand cheaper than a nano... I know wal mart sells that set up here for 150 for glass, 75 for stand... It is alot easier as a beginer to go bigger. Your end cost would end up running about the same on a 55g as it would with a 10g nano with the exception of salt, bed, rock. Salt is about 20 for 55g, rock is about 3.99-7.99/lbs x lbs/gallon (try ebay, you can save alot here), sand is about 1.99/lbs (try lfs for thier running l.s., the bag stuff is overrated).
Look into powerheads, skimmer, sump.
In a reef, lighting gets expensive.. I don't know the numbers, but you want so many watts per gallon...

vaderbanger

AC Members
Dec 1, 2005
my 10 gallon nano is up to 300 allready and i didnt even get corals or fancy lighting yet :help:

so for a 55 sure its better but come on its gonna cost this kid at least 700 by the end result

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store