Actual Seawater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

littlebro381

AC Members
Dec 31, 2005
Well I live right on the water and I was thinking about starting a saltwater tank. I have done the freshwater for around 3 years now but want to try something new. My question is with me living right one the water ( Florida Panhandle) can I use water directly from the gulf?

dabxchef

ODD LOVER OF ODDITIES
Dec 11, 2005
BRONX N.Y.
littlebro381 said:
Well I live right on the water and I was thinking about starting a saltwater tank. I have done the freshwater for around 3 years now but want to try something new. My question is with me living right one the water ( Florida Panhandle) can I use water directly from the gulf?
:read: only if your gonna raise fish from that body of water in question i would advise against it.
you would have too worry about parasites and a plethora of other unwanted life forms in the water!
a hobbyist tank is much diffrent than out in the wild just as the habits of wild to farm raised aquaria is diffrent. there are many books on starting a salt water tank. you can find some on aquabid.com :cool2:good luck

it,s not just a hobby it's an adventure!!!

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I've seen people over at www.reefcentral.com say they use NSW with success. I believe some let it 'age' for a while, and some put it through a UV sterilizer. I think you'd want to collect from an area away from the shore, to ensure you're getting the cleanest water possible.

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Also a concern with colelcting water close to shore is contaminated water, such as industrial chemicals and other pollution is strongest near shore.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store