Tap water test, Tank test for sick Oscar

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ghostman81

Registered Member
Feb 4, 2006
OK, I have had a difficult time understandibly trying to again stabilize a tank I have neglected. At the time before I completed 3 days of vigorous water changes the water in the tank posted a pH of about 6, nitrites .1, and ammonia around a 4.9 (no hardness test). This is for a 29 gal tank. Reasons why nitrites might be low in comparison for very high ammonia is that the water was very acidic. I have read that ammonia cannot convert to nitrites as easy when the ph is around 6. I am adding pH Down to the tank to counteract the spike it took from adding new water.

The tap water tests as follows...Ammonia (NH3) 0, Nitrites 0, General Hardness 120 (moderately hard)
Carbonite Hardness 110, pH 7.8

The tank after 3 days of changing 50%+ each day now reads...Ammonia 1.2-2.4, Nitrites .1, pH 7.7, GH and KH same as above^

I am running out of time! How long can he possibly last not eating? It's been 4 days without food!
I am purchasing something to neutralize the ammonia, and in the process of adding pH Down to the tank to counteract very high pH in tap water and to prevent ammonia to transforming into Nitrites... This tank was EXTREMELY dirty on the bottom though water was clear and I was a complete *** for not cleaning it...Now I'm whining about him finally getting sick. Besides ridding the ammonia and lowering pH down a little...what else could I possibly do? More water changes!?!?!?! Thanks to all those who reply

Refer to this original thread...http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68223

Last edited:

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
ghostman81 said:
OK, I have had a difficult time understandibly trying to again stabilize a tank I have neglected. At the time before I completed 3 days of vigorous water changes the water in the tank posted a pH of about 6, nitrites .1, and ammonia around a 4.9 (no hardness test). This is for a 29 gal tank. Reasons why nitrites might be low in comparison for very high ammonia is that the water was very acidic. I have read that ammonia cannot convert to nitrites as easy when the ph is around 6. I am adding pH Down to the tank to counteract the spike it took from adding new water.

The tap water tests as follows...Ammonia (NH3) 0, Nitrites 0, General Hardness 120 (moderately hard)
Carbonite Hardness 110, pH 7.8

The tank after 3 days of changing 50%+ each day now reads...Ammonia 1.2-2.4, Nitrites .1, pH 7.7, GH and KH same as above^

I am running out of time! How long can he possibly last not eating? It's been 4 days without food!
I am purchasing something to neutralize the ammonia, and in the process of adding pH Down to the tank to counteract very high pH in tap water and to prevent ammonia to transforming into Nitrites... This tank was EXTREMELY dirty on the bottom though water was clear and I was a complete *** for not cleaning it...Now I'm whining about him finally getting sick. Besides ridding the ammonia and lowering pH down a little...what else could I possibly do? More water changes!?!?!?! Thanks to all those who reply
Putting this here because he PM'd me that he'd been editing his original posts. I want to make sure that old information is not lost.

Roan

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
He doesn't listen, he doesn't care, he should not be keeping fish.

Fish are not disposable pets!

If your dog was suffering from burns on say 80% of his body and you said, "I'll take him to the vet tomorrow".....
If your cat had a plastic bag around its neck and was suffocating and you said, "I have a paper to write, I'll get the bag off tomorrow".....

If you don't have time, don't keep fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store