Lighting Question...Actinic -vs- Daylight

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TetraFreak

Church of the Freshwater Aquarium!
Dec 14, 2005
Sweet Home "Northern" Alabama
:help:

I just purchased a 4x55W CF hood and I'm wondering what the differences(besides color) are.

I have a planted tank & was wondering if the Actinic will help or hinder plant growth?

Tank is a 55 Gal and the price paid for the lighting(Jebo) was $60.00 plus shipping on eBay.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-TF

John N.

AC Members
Feb 1, 2006
California
Actinic will no hinder plant growth, nor will it add to its growth. The color spectrum is basically wasted energy, and plants will not absorb it during photosythesis.

The bulbs that typically come with the Jebo aren't great either. You're probably best to either replace all or just the actinic bulbs with Ge 9325 bulbs from www.lightbulbsdirect.com.

Those GEs will make your plants go wild. I should not that it does have a pinkish hue to it, but mixed with 6700k or 10000k bulbs make the pink go away if you don't like it.

-John N.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
John N. said:
Actinic will no hinder plant growth, nor will it add to its growth. The color spectrum is basically wasted energy, and plants will not absorb it during photosythesis.

-John N.
Does that mean a 130 watt light that is one bulb white and one bulb actinic is really only giving out 65 watts of growing power and not the 130 watts?

Hannys_Papa

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Upstate NY
IceH2O said:
Does that mean a 130 watt light that is one bulb white and one bulb actinic is really only giving out 65 watts of growing power and not the 130 watts?
Thats how it was exlained to me - actinic in freshwater = wasted light because the plants cant utilize that spectrum. It was even mentioned that algae however might be able to - so the actinic could create some problems. I assume that might be open to discussion as so many things in aquaria seem to be.

TetraFreak

Church of the Freshwater Aquarium!
Dec 14, 2005
Sweet Home "Northern" Alabama
Awesome Info Everyone!

Thanks!

-TF

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
What K rating are actinic?

Edit:
I've been reading and guessing the K rating has nothing to do with it. the problem is that its only blue wavelengths and plants don't use these.

Last edited:

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Okay so I need to replace my bulbs.

Who sells the cheapest price not quality bulbs. I'll need a 96 watt and 2 65 watts.

I checked Dr.Fosters and looks like all 3 bulbs will cost me $75 not including shipping.

AQUA_OBSESSION

AC Members
Dec 12, 2005
I am in a very similar situation. I just purchased off of e-bay a 192W light. One of the 96W bulbs was an actinic bulb and it was absolutely worthless. When I changed it to a 6700K bulb it was a lot brighter and the plants responded almost immeditately too it (until it broke). I bought mine through PETSOLUTIONS.COM - they seemed reasonable. Also, e-bay has a few sellers that have them fairly cheap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store