Red Tail Shark

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Davidh

Fish are so relaxing
Oct 19, 2005
Please if anyone know, I have RTS and today all of a sudden it is puffed like a baloon and cant swim wellIt is very PUFFY! It is trying to swim but the front flippers are almost forwards
Any Idaes please

pedzola

AC Members
Aug 26, 2005
Puffy? :sad:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like dropsy. It is not a disease in and of itself, but rather is an indicator of the any number of different ailments. From what I understand, if a fish is exhibiting dropsy (puffed up body, sometimes scales portruding) then he is probably beyond the point of being able to be cured.

This happened to my pearl gourami, and he was dead within 24 hours. We determined it was caused in his case by poor nutrition.

Does your shark still have a red tail? If he is sick and his tail is still red, then that makes me very nervous, because my shark hasn't been eating much for the last few weeks, and if it keeps up I'm afraid he might join his gourami friend. :(

I always thought that if the tail was still red then he is probably healthy.

Davidh

Fish are so relaxing
Oct 19, 2005
He is now out of the tank and really looking bad~! He had friends that are black and Dalmatian mollies! and barbs. They got along fine. NOW i see two dalmatian molloy I think with POPEYE! All this now in 10 hours

pedzola

AC Members
Aug 26, 2005
If other fish are catching it then it sounds like a bacterial infection. Best to isolate sick fish if possible.

"dropsy" isn't infectious, because it is only a symptom and not a disease. But the underlying problem could be very infectious indeed.

:( Hope you can get this resolved. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store