Purigen Recharge Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MidnightPyro

AC Members
Jun 21, 2005
Hey everyone. I know some of you guys here use Seachem's Purigen. My water was looking a bit dingy, and I looked and my PUrigen is pretty brown, so I figure now would be a good time to recharge it. It says you should soak it in a bleach solution...okay, that's fine. Hopefully the fancy laundry stuff is okay.

Now, it says you add some Seachem Prime to it. I can do that too, but the part I'm concerned about is it says you should let it soak in either acid buffer or neutral buffer to reduce the pH. Argh! I don't have any neutral pH or anything like that. I was wondering if anyone actually omitted this step and just let it soak in fresh water for awhile, or maybe a bit of baking sodaized water?

Thanks in advance!

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I sat mine in regular tap water, I have no chlorine, for a week changing the water daily. I was medicating at the time so thats why it was out for the week.

Soak it in water until you don't smell bleach. Then run a PH test on the water it is in. If it reads the same as your tap you're good to go.

rrkss

Biology is Fun
Dec 2, 2005
Fancy laundry stuff is a big no no. You need regular chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorate) in order to do the job. Soak it in bleach and use prime as the directions say. Instead of using the acid buffer, I just soak it in water with a few tablespoons of distilled viniger for 10 minutes (After doing a good rinse in tap water to get as much of the caustic soda in bleach down the drain). Then I rinse it to get rid of the viniger smell and have not lost a single fish with this method.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store