CO2 reactors

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Just curious on how all of you mix your water with CO2. I think the extra info will help out any plant ppl thinking about injecting CO2.

Personally, I have a powerhead attached to a gravel vac. In the gravel vac, I have a rigid air tube going up into it from the bottom, with a wooden airstone attached to it. I plug up the gravel vac with a sponge. It seems to work, as my CO2 concentration is about 20-25ppm.

Of course, I have an ulterior motive in this thread as well =)

I've been looking for an external reactor for quite awhile... however, I am unwilling to mail a cheque (check)... if anyone know of a place that sells a good external CO2 reactor like the reactor 1000 from http://www.aquabotanic.com/co2accessories.html and does ship up to Canada, give me a shout =)

-Richer

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Aqua Clears

I use my Aqua Clears to inject.....the reason being, I tried using a power head and believe it or not, I got too much concentration that way. My PH dropped into the low, low 6's overnight and according to the charts I was pushing 35 - 40 ppm C02. So even thought the way I now do it is a bit wasteful, I get the peace of mind of knowing the fish aren't stressed.
(thanks for the reply to my PM Richer)
Len

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
I use a gravel tube reactor.

Richer, if you check the DIY section on the Aquabotanic forum, I seem to recall some directions for putting together an external reactor with parts you can get from a hardware store. Tom Barr also used to sell the reactors that he makes. Not sure if he still does or not.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Yea, but unfortunately, I'm unwilling to go order a book of cheques just for a CO2 reactor... kinda strange to order an entire book just to use one cheque and have the rest sit around collecting dust for who knows how long =\

-Richer

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
I guess maybe Canada is different but here we can just buy a money order for the correct amount. I suppose it could get complicated to find something like an international money order though.

I *have* sent small items to a friend in Canada though and since the value of the item was small, they had no problem receiving it without having to pay customs or such.

Robert H

Aspiring Guru
I am not sure what your talking about with checks... I can ship hardware to Canada... I can take credit cards, or checks. If you want to mail me a check or money order, thats fine. It won't ship til I have the check and it clears. I also take paypal. Using a credit card is the fastest.

I dont know of any external reactors other than Aqua medics reactor 1000 and Tom Barrs home made one. Hydrologix may make one...

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Robert H - Are you the person who runs Aqua Botanic? If so, I was under the impression that you don't ship to Canada, since there was a little note on most of your pages saying "USA only." What kind of shipping charges are involved with sending the Reactor 1000 up to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada?

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
We all take money orders, cashier's checks etc.
It cost 13$ to ship to Canada last time I sent one there.

Robert H:
They are not "home made", they are shop made and they are _guaranteed for life_ or until I die. That term denotes some cheaply made item, which is not the case. You could whack someone with it and it'd be fine(the reactor, not the person:)
The only ones I sell anymore have a solid bent hanger for hanging from the back of the tank or custom CO2 reactors for sumps. They have 30psi moveable fittings that are replaceable and removeable, solid thick acrylic and a pump included.

Regards,
Tom Barr

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store