What is the best Book for Tropical Aquariums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mfpreach

AC Members
Feb 8, 2006
I have been looking for a good book that covers everything (tank set up, planting etc..).
With also in-depth analysis of fish (tendencies, temperment, breeding etc...)
I have Dr. Innes' Exotic Aquarium Fishes 19th ed. which i found in my basement from the 60s. Is this the "bible" of aquariums?

beblondie

grand high exhalted poobah
Mar 25, 2005
look at the very top where it say AQUARIA CENTRAL it reads species profiles it pretty good.As for books the Baensch aquarium atlas wol.1and2 should fill your needs as far a books go-Anne

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
I asked this question a couple of months ago:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61158&highlight=roan+books

The Baensch series is actually 3 books plus a Photo Index and they are pretty expensive and can be hard to find. Count on paying at least $150 for the three of them in hardcover.

I did get the entire Baensch series, including the Photo Index, it's a great set of books. I also got the Fossil book that Tom E. was referring to in that thread I linked. It's a pretty cool book :)

Roan

beblondie

Mar 25, 2005
But vol.1&2 will cover most of what you want to know -Anne

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
beblondie said:
But vol.1&2 will cover most of what you want to know -Anne
Will they? I haven't gotten that far yet except to look at them briefly, so I'll take your word for it.

Vol 3 has rainbows in it (and on the front cover!), so regardless, it's a must have for me ;)

Roan

beblondie

Mar 25, 2005
Vol 1 covers all the basics of fishkeeping,anatomy,plants and of course descriptions of fish
Vol 2 covers more anatomy,plants and fish
Vol3 Just fish descriptions-Anne

beblondie

Mar 25, 2005
And furthermore lol while books are excelent starting and references I due not rely them solely.Monthly magazines are also a good resource and a collection of good websites can't be beat especially if they have a forum for the species you are intereste in-Anne

Walker Anderson

AC Members
Dec 12, 2005
www.walkeranderson.com
I would agree, I bought 2 current books on Tropical Fish and had an old one from the 70's. Suprisingly, the recomendations on tank size, compatability, and temperment are different for some fish in every book. It may cost more, but I wish I would have spent more cash to get a more authoritative book, instead of 3 books that at some points are completely contrary.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
beblondie said:
Vol 1 covers all the basics of fishkeeping,anatomy,plants and of course descriptions of fish
Vol 2 covers more anatomy,plants and fish
Vol3 Just fish descriptions-Anne
Oh, thanks! Now I know which book I want to start with. I'm on the last of the Rainbowfish books that I got for Christmas and was going to start on the Baensch series next.

Roan

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I highly value the complete Baensch series, and regret that they are being so slow getting vol 4 translated, and have not even considered vol. 5 yet (still German only). They are collectively at least an order of magnitude better than anything else on the market. I reference them almost as often as the rest of the two bookcases of aquarium books combined (the magazines are stored elsewhere).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store