Can't boil this driftwood

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I found this last year. It's about 3' x 2', sorta. It was too big to boil so I soaked in bleach/water for 24 hrs. and rinse/soaked for a month. The bleach took out most of the tannins as the last week of rinsing the water had almost no color. Started soaking again today to put in upcoming 125g discus tank. I love all the projections coming off the stump. I see bolbitis, java fern and petite nana in its future.

Mark

Driftwood after Rita 010 (WinCE).jpg

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
Nice piece of wood. If it's sinking, great. If not, I've found that you can tie it to a large glass piece using nylon straps. Glass is haevy and will hold down even the lightest of woods. For my largets driftwood piece, I used two narrow glass sheets like those used in windows (don't know a proper English name) and it held it stuck to the floor.

YuccaPatrol

Over-filtered
Oct 17, 2004
That is a fantastic piece of wood! I am so pleased with the driftwood that I have found. Your piece will sink eventually. My favorite piece took a week to sink and I just let it float in the aquarium until it was ready.

graphicdesign_r

Tact is for the weak.
Oct 31, 2005
In your nightmares.
I would never soak wood in bleach it is too absorbent. Maybe the month rinsing took most of it out, but make sure you keep up on water changes and take it out first thing if you have any fish issues with your discus.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Absolutely, graphicdesign_r. I changed the rinsewater daily using zip drops for the new water. I tested for chlorine before the next changeout and didn't call it good until I had a whole week of 0 chlorine. Then I sun dried for a month. Now it's back in the soak. I should be able to order my plants by next week if I can find some bolbitis.

Mark

apaws62

Registered Member
Jan 18, 2006
i;'ve heard that throwing driftwood in the oven for a while will help kill any bacteria before dropping it in your tank (after soaking)? Has anyone heard of this/done this/recommend this?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Some people bake their wood to kill the nasties in it. This piece wouldn't fit in my oven.

Mark

Genral72

Giver of worthless imformation.
Oct 15, 2005
Pittsburgh
Try pouring boiling water over it. That could help kill the bacteria.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store