algae control?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joephys

AC Members
Dec 22, 2005
I was reading a book about aquatic plant biology and it talked about algae control.

Basically it said that unlike plants that can start and stop photosynthisizing as soon as the lights go on or off, algae needs to have like 10 hours of steady light for the process to occure.

Basically it said that if you leave your lights on for 6 hours, off for 2 in then back on for six hours again, you can get a full 12 hours of lighting but the algae shouldn't have enough continuous light to grow.

I have never heard anyone mention this before so I am wondering if anyone has ever tried this?

jazzbass

AC Members
Nov 28, 2005
NW Washington State
LFS does this about midday. I was surprised the first time I saw that. I was in the store, and suddenly all the lights in the tanks started going out, both fresh and saltwater. I think they had them off for about 15 minutes. I didn't notice if all the lights were out, but all the planted display tanks were.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store