"Carpet" plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
are there any plants that i could use to make a "lawn" in the front of my tank using only 2.5-3wpg on a 12 inch tall tank?

hurricanejedi

AC Members
Apr 4, 2005
Raleigh, NC
www.flowerspride.com
I really like the look of the crystalwort(riccia flutians). Every time I see it in someones tank I think how pretty it is and it always ends up being riccia. So I'm giong to try it for my carpet.

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
i love the look of riccia, but i think i'll go with hair grass and some java moss if i can find them.....i'll probably have to order my plants online because none of the stores here have a selection. all the same old crypts, aponogetons, a few have swords, wysteria, some java fern, and some stuff like that, but i haven't seen any "lawn" plants so far.

CrownMan

AC Members
Sep 2, 2005
Arlington, Texas
E. Tenellus will work. I have grown that in 2.5 WPG with Excel only. IMHO, you have enough light with 12" to grow Glosso or HC if you add CO2. I currently have HC growing in 3.5WPG in Onyx Sand with Excel only. It grows very slow and is a lighter green color than in my CO2 tank. In 3 months, I have 1/4 of a 10 gallon carpeted with no algae.

Mike

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store