Lighting question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lbear

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Bay area, California
I'd like to decide the lighting setup for my 90 gal FOWLR. It is a BF tank about 3 inches taller than regular 90 gal tank.

People say that lighting doesn't matter for FO tank. Just good enough to show off the color of fish. Is there any wattage/gallon rule similar to reef tank?

My LFS recommanded Corallife Aqualight (PC, 10000K + actinic 03). But I don't like that fixture.

I am thinking of T5 ho 2x54w (aquablue + actinic). Is it a good choice? Not enough or overkill?

reefrash

bartender another round of skimmate
Dec 1, 2005
Montara, Ca.
www.robincampbellband.com
I personally don't like the look of PC's, and prefer T5's. Your in the Bay Area, if you haven't checked them out go to innovative lighting in San Carlos, they are pretty inexpensive and will hook you up with what you need.

Crown Royal

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Sky's the limit when it comes to lighting a reef tank.

It all depends on the type of corals and other photosynthetic creatures you wish to keep. Do your research first before you unintentionally kill something (like your wallet).

lbear

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Bay area, California
Crown Royal said:
Sky's the limit when it comes to lighting a reef tank.

It all depends on the type of corals and other photosynthetic creatures you wish to keep. Do your research first before you unintentionally kill something (like your wallet).
Thanks for giving me feedback.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

A 2x54w T5 ho retro is more expensive than 2x65w PC retro. But I am talking about two bulbs here. If it's about 6 or 8 bulbs for reef tank, the initial setup cost of T5 is indeed much more expensive than PC.

However, T5 bulb has longer life time. It could be more economical in the long run. It runs cooler and energy efficient. Besides, my tank is 90 gal BF, the slimmer T5 is better for my canopy. I dream of one day I can keep some corals. I can upgrade my lighting by simply add more bulbs and ballasts in the future. 90 gal BF tank is 5" taller than 90 gal rectangle tank. What I heard is that T5 provides better light penertration than other fluorescent bulbs (PC, VHO and NO) with same wattage.

I know it's a little bit crazy talking about T5 for my fish only tank. But I think less than $100 upgrade may be a good investment. I am not sure about it. That's why I am posting my question here.

I am also not sure if 2x54w is too much or too less for FOWLR tank. If it's too much, 1x65w is more economical. If it's not enough, I will think again. Because 4x54w retro is about $300+.

Crown Royal

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Everything depends what you want to keep long-term. This means that you have to ask yourself what your photosynthetic "ceiling" is.

If all you want is low light corals such mushrooms and other soft corals, a 2x96W PC over your 90 gallon is all that you need. You could even get away with keeping easy LPS such as frogspawn, bubble or hammer under those lights. It's when you want to move on to keeping SPS and tridacnid clams that lighting becomes a more serious issue.

The problem is that many people start out with modest aspirations thinking that they'll only keep easier corals, but eventually get bitten by the reefing bug and end up going all out with SPS. As a result, they have to invest in much more powerful lighting (much more than a $100 investment).

A 6x54W T5-HO system would give you far greater flexibility in the types of creatures you can keep especially if you purchase a quality system with individual reflectors. You would be able to keep virtually anything under these lights. The initial cost is quite a bit more than PCs, but you simply cannot keep some creatures under PCs.

A word of caution, however: many of the easier low-light corals such as mushrooms do not react well to extremely bright light. There is such a thing as too much light. Consider carefully what you want to keep.

There is also metal halide lights which remains that standard method of lighting a reef system, as well as combining MH with T5/PC/VHO.

You have a myriad of options available and it may simply come down to what "look" you prefer subjectively. The best advice is to look at as many different reef setups as you can (in person if possible) to determine what you like and what meets your needs.

lbear

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Bay area, California
Thanks for your advice.

I think I will stay FO for a while. I only know what kind of fish I want to keep.

I've already had Sunlight system T5 tek 2x54w retrofit kits. One ballast supports either one or two bulbs. I guess one bulb is enough for FO tank. More ballast/bulb can be added in the future if necessary.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store