Goldfish Is Sick - Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Brookie44

Registered Member
Feb 16, 2006
Ok, I've had my Goldfish now for 4 or 5 years... He's only been sick 2 or 3 times, but he is sick again...

He has tail rot and is now showing sign of the red veins (disease the begins with S...can't remember)-

I tried using the APPlus+ fungus drops that turned his water bright green. I added to water 2 days ago,yet he continues to get worse...

Alternate Medication/Dosage suggestions, please??

He continues to get worse...

thanks

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Fungus and fin/tail rot are usually indications that water quality is not in order.

Septicemia occurs with ammonia/nitrite spikes and the situation is not corrected.

What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

How big is your tank and what is your water change routine: how much and how often?

Best treatment for either is lots of fresh water changes. Meds are usually not necessary if the water is changed often and in large amounts.

Both of these occur quite often in goldfish who are housed in environments too small for them. If they are not given better living arrangements, they will eventually die from it.

Roan

Last edited:

rrkss

Biology is Fun
Dec 2, 2005
Visible blood vessels in the tail usually mean ammonia poisoning. In septicemia you get actual hemmoraging of the veins so it looks almost like red blotches all over the caudal (tail) fin and sometimes over the body. The fin rot makes me speculate that it has to do with high ammonia levels and not septecemia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store