Flame angel is nipping at my clam

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tonytwist007

AC Members
Jul 13, 2005
I purchased a crocea clam about a week ago and it seems to be acclimating well. Although tonight, I noticed that my flame angel would take a nip at the mantle every time it passed over the clam. As a precaution, I cut the top off of a 2L clear pop bottle, punched a bunch of wholes in it to allow for circulation, and placed it over the clam to protect it. My question is, will I have to part with either the clam or the flame angel or will the angel’s behaviour subside over time? I keep my fish fairly well fed and have not noticed the flame angel or any other fish nipping at my corals.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
AFAIK, once a nipper, always a nipper - it's not likely he'll leave the clam alone. Most angels are prone to taste-testing corals and clams, it's a chance we take. I'm facing a similar issue with a halfblack who likes to nip at Euphyllia corals, I feel your frustration.

tonytwist007

AC Members
Jul 13, 2005
Can the clam survive with the protective dome I've put over it or will I have to get rid of it altogether?

tonytwist007

AC Members
Jul 13, 2005
Bump. :read:

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I believe clams are filter feeders so with a dome covering it, I would guess it wouldn't be the best thing in the world as it needs the dynamics of the entire tank to thrive.

Crown Royal

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Clams do filter feed on phytoplankton especially when younger. However, the plastic bottle will also deflect and reduce the amount of light available to the clam and croceas are the most light demanding tridacnids out there.

Looks like it's gonna be an either/or situation unfortunately.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store