starting a Brichardi tank. have ?'s

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AcTwisted

AC Members
Jan 22, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
starting up my now empty my 125 gallon tank (72"x18"x20").

Have had Neolamprologus brichardi before but unfortunately lost them when they were bullied in my other community african tank.

so my question is how many should I introduce to this tank. I would love to get breeding established, but worry how many to stock the tank with to avoid breeding territory disputes.

now i would like a peaceful tank (if there is such a thing for cichlids). should i keep this big tank EXCLUSIVELY brichardis, or are there suitable tankmates that won't harass them?

thanks in advance :)

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
Basically with N.brichardi you can work on the principle of 2 breeding pairs per 3ft of tank. There is lemon yellow variant which you could also include. In a tank that big you can also include some mid-top dwellers as long as they are compatible with the alkaline conditions. Bristlenose and Synodontis can also be used if you want cats (the latter are expensive but would look great). There are other compatible Lake Tangs, but unfortunately my friend has my African cichlid book at the moment, so I can't be more detailed.

I use a 50/50 mix of fine gravel and crushed shell with my N.brichardi's. You will need a good filter, because to keep them breeding you need to do small water changes very sparingly (they really dislike water changes). However they will tolerate plants, and this will assist in using some nitrates. You will find that once one pair breeds they never stop. Three generations will live together, but as juveniles reach about 2cm it is best to remove them as parents may kill juveniles off when new fry emerge.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store