Noisy Aquaclear

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Timster

Registered Member
Feb 18, 2006
Hi guys, I bought an Aquaclear 50 from petsmart a few weeks ago, and I really like it. However, it is pretty noisy compared to my old whisper filter. The fishtank is in my bedroom but I really only notice the noise at night when there is no backround noise. The noise isnt real loud but enough to annoy me. Today I took the impellar out and cleaned it in water but no sound difference...I'm guessing this is normal and I should return the filter?

Tim.

beatle

AC Members
Dec 7, 2005
Alexandria, VA
www.mdbbox.com
Where's the noise coming from? Try taking the lid off and see if it still makes the noise. The lids are known to cause the noise from the filter to echo and amplify and sometimes rattle a bit themselves.

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
Mine had a bit of a rattle due to the lid. I took it off and haven't put it back on since, and the filter is almost silent. If you prefer to keep the lid on, fitting some fine pieces of foam into the cracks would do the trick.

Pufferpeep

AC Members
Aug 12, 2005
Hey,

my aquaclear also makes a nosie that i notice at night. Its like a buzzing noise. Last night i stuck a washcloth against the plastic and the aquarium and it quited down. Although my filter is not new..

Just a thought,

Pufferpeep

NotGumbel

The Dude
Nov 5, 2004
Elkins, WV USA
Odd timing. This afternoon I took off the cover for maintenance, and put it back on ... later, I heard a faint buzzing. A slight readjustment of the cover, and voila, buzz gone.

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
NotGumbel said:
Odd timing. This afternoon I took off the cover for maintenance, and put it back on ... later, I heard a faint buzzing. A slight readjustment of the cover, and voila, buzz gone.
I'll bet the buzzing will start again eventually though, unless you do something to fix the problem. Even a couple of small pieces of duct tape should be enough to fix it for good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store