My nitrates read almost at 0

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
This morning I did my routinal water test change in a 50 gallon tank. Ammonia read 0, nitrites read 0 and I was surprised to have a nitrate reading of <5ppm. My tap water comes with 5ppm.

The tank is planted (it has 5 unknown plants and 10 giant valisnerias in a pebble gravel ), and I was surprised these would take out the nitrate so efficiently. Fish load is 11 fish, 1 srhimp and 1 crayfish.

This is my first experience with planted tanks, and I would want advice on how could this affect the need for the water changes.

YuccaPatrol

Over-filtered
Oct 17, 2004
I would still suggest doing regular routine water changes regardless of very low nitrate readings. Fish produce other wastes that are harmful to them and we mostly use nitrate as an indicator that everything else is building up as well.

But it is neat to see that plants take up the nitrates and keep the water better than it would be without them. . .

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
It won’t affect the need at all. As YuccaPatrol said, nitrates aren’t the only pollutants that are built up in a tank, they are just the easiest to test for. So you still need to do water changes to get the rest out. Many people with planted tanks do 50% to “reset” the nutrient level each week.

MidnightPyro

AC Members
Jun 21, 2005
What's your water change schedule and how many (what kind of) plants do you have in your tank?

Nitrates are considered a macro nutrient for plants (most important nutrient) along with Phosphate and Potassium. Most medium-fast growing plants will consume nitrates faster than the nitrogen cycle spits them out unless your tank is overstocked.

Most people with planted tanks actually ADD nitrates among other things with KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate). Depending on your current water change schedule, I wouldn't suggest laxing on water changes to get nitrates to go up. Plants keep ammonia/nitrite/nitrate down very well, but there's a lot of things that only water changes can fix. :cool:

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Pat,

Yes, like MidnightPyro said, nitrates are a macro for plants. Water changes are necessary to keep the plants healthy as well as they NEED nitrates to grow.

Keep an eye on things, because if your nitrates constantly read 0, you could develop a real algae problem in the tank. Once the plants consume the nitrates, they stop growing until they can get some more. That opens the door for algae.

Do you have an idea of what your PO4 is?

Roan

patoloco

Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
I don't have a test for PO4, since I jusr started this 50gl. tank. It sprung a leak a few weeks ago, and it was planted too, but it only lasted about a month before the emergency.

After I fixed, it was refilled, planted and fished (¿nice word?). This was my first water change in that tank, after 2 weeks of initial running, using an already working canister filter, so I had an instantly cycled tank. I have not yt developed a WC routine for this tank.

I've been using FLoraSan as an dissolved-in-water fertilizer, which claims to contain the following:
Organic compounds - EDTA, humic acids 785 ppm.
Macro elements - Fe 175 ppm, Mn 110 ppm, Zn 50 ppm, B 40 ppm, K 30 ppm.
Anions - SO4 275 ppm, Cl 45 ppm.
Micro elements - Co 5 ppm, Cu 3 ppm, Mo 2 ppm, I 1 ppm.

I also used it before when I tried to plant another tank, but the inhabitants were gardeners themselves and kept uprooting the plants daily.

As an initial guess I'll try a 25% weekly and see how things go.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
patoloco said:
I've been using FLoraSan as an dissolved-in-water fertilizer, which claims to contain the following:
Organic compounds - EDTA, humic acids 785 ppm.
Macro elements - Fe 175 ppm, Mn 110 ppm, Zn 50 ppm, B 40 ppm, K 30 ppm.
Anions - SO4 275 ppm, Cl 45 ppm.
Micro elements - Co 5 ppm, Cu 3 ppm, Mo 2 ppm, I 1 ppm.
Hrm, macros are KNP: Potassium, Nitrogen (nitrate), Phosphate
The rest of those "macros" are micros. I'm not totally hep on ferts as yet, but I see no phosphates in that list and they are important.

Can you post in the Plants Forum? No P could = algae.

Roan

patoloco

Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
Thanks Roan. I will keep an eye on my tank and see the results. As far as I know, the LFS where they use florasan in their heavily planted exhibition tanks have no algae problems. Also, according to a friend of mine that works there, their only mainteinance routine is regular water changes and no glass scraping to remove algae.

I will do some Internet research too.

Thanks a lot. :read:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store